ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Range Selector based on whole text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anton Shushar
Range Selector based on whole text
on Apr 2, 2019 at 5:32:15 pm

Hey, I'm trying to make an animation for a speciefic part of my text set by Expression Selector. And using Range Selector I can only choose between characters, words and lines. Unfortunately, there is no "whole text" option.
Animating every single property(color, stroke, scale, opacity, tracking etc.) isn't what I want.
That's that is gonna be animated(just in case):
myChar = "$";
if (text.sourceText[textIndex-1] == myChar) 100 else 0

Maybe replace spaces somehow that they won't count as spaces or something. I hope you can help me out and think of the workaround.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Range Selector based on whole text
on Apr 2, 2019 at 8:09:36 pm

I'm not following what you're asking for. Can you give an example of what you're trying to do?

Dan

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Apr 3, 2019 at 11:26:20 am

Anton,

it seems like you want to animate the whole 'paragraph' of texts all at once, without actually going in a range of chars/words or lines.

If this is correct, please specify what animation transformation you want to apply for that text portion. Based on whats written by now, it doesn't seem you need Text Animation engine at all.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.

Return to posts index

Anton Shushar
on Apr 3, 2019 at 4:57:42 pm

Look, that's what I have now:

And that's what I want, but with spaces instead of undersores:

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Apr 5, 2019 at 10:25:38 pm

Can you please explain why underscores are used in the second example? Is it automatically passed/generated text and you need to replace underscores?

Because, you say such behaviour should be done for spaces - but how spaces can be 'colored' and 'scaled'?

Anyways, the expression you have should be placed not into 'Range Selector'. Delete it from the layer, then add 'Expression Selector' from Text Animation panel and apply this expression to 'Amount'. It should work.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]