ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Start /place comp at event in time (data driven JSON)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bas v Breugel
Start /place comp at event in time (data driven JSON)
on Mar 29, 2019 at 4:26:05 pm

Allright, not quite sure how to start explaining my question but here we go.

I have this information as an excel file (below) but also optional in JSON ;

Could I drive an animation like this : https://vimeo.com/327296943 with that data?

So I would guess making a composition for lets say 90 seconds. Because a soccer match is 90 minutes, so every second in after effects comp is a minute from the data.

And then somehow linking the data file that a text or precomp is shown at a specific time.
For example in the spreadsheet we see the first GOAL scored at 04:51. So in the comp at 4 seconds the text goal would be shown.

Or have a precomp/text on each second and have it turn on/off (opacity) incase something happens on that specific second in the json.

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: Start /place comp at event in time (data driven JSON)
on Mar 31, 2019 at 7:17:47 pm

Hey Bas,

to answer the question short, YES, you can indeed.

Some thing to consider:
1. In example video, the data-set is super 'friendly' I shall say, because goals/events happens with good amount of time gaps in between. What would happen if a lot of events takes place in a short timeframe? Such scenarios needs to be treated differently. Especially, when most often its length might be limited for social media types.
2. The approach depends on amount of data you would be using. If its only a goal fact mention, then having home vs away pre-comps would work, if its a simple reveal. However, if animation should be triggered by such even, then more complex expression is required. (especially if times goes one after another).

With that said - it all depends on the approach. Even if you choose 90s as a ballpark, there are more things to be considered.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]