ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Expression to Create Arcs in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amir Aizat
Expression to Create Arcs in After Effects
on Mar 22, 2019 at 8:31:22 am
Last Edited By Amir Aizat on Mar 22, 2019 at 10:13:42 am

Hi, is there a technique that lets us attach start and end points to a Null object (like the popular Beam effect technique) but with a curve?
Preferable a technique/script that does not need a plug-in since I'm going to export a mogrt file to pass to video editors.

EDIT: I tested AE 2018 and Create Nulls from Paths worked great, but I need something that's compatible with AE 2017 unfortunately

Like this:

If found the gif here:
http://motionographer.com/2017/10/25/everything-is-awesome-until-it-isnt/

Return to posts index

Alex Printz
Re: Expression to Create Arcs in After Effects
on Mar 22, 2019 at 2:43:31 pm

There is no way to do this 'correctly' natively prior to AE2017 october update, but there is a cheat.

My friend Paul Conigliaro did develop a technique and wrote a plugin to do this: what it does is duplicate the shapelayer and path onto a guide layer, add a micro trim path (e.g, Start: 99.9, End:100), and then add a round-end stroke of 1 pixel to essentially draw a dot at the end of the path.

On a null layer, it then averages the SourceRecAtTime of the layer and does a world conversion, something like this (not tested, code might be formatted incorrectly):

target = thisComp.layer("target guide layer");
target.toComp([target.sourceRecAtTime(time).left+(target.sourceRecAtTime(time).width/2),target.sourceRecAtTime(time).top+(target.sourceRecAtTime(time).height/2)].

This should be pretty much the position of the center of the end of the trimmed path.

Alex Printz
Mograph Designer

Return to posts index

Alex Printz
Re: Expression to Create Arcs in After Effects
on Mar 22, 2019 at 2:45:39 pm

You know what, I just re-read your question and I first response is entirely backwards to what you were asking, pushing data into paths.

No, there is no way to force paths to specific coordinates prior to AE Oct.2017 update. Sorry for getting your hopes up.

Alex Printz
Mograph Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]