ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animate repeater shapes instances individually

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Modestas Jurkus
Animate repeater shapes instances individually
on Feb 26, 2019 at 12:53:18 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to find a way to animate shapes in grid individually made by 2 repeaters. To make everything more complicated scale animation is driven by fractal noise with this expression:

sourceLayer = thisComp.layer(“Fractal Noise Map”);
sampleSize = [1,1];
samplePoint = transform.position;
colour= sourceLayer.sampleImage(sampleSize,samplePoint);
x=colour[0]*100;
[x,x]

And closest thing letting me control each shape scale separately is adding additional wiggle modifier to the shape layer, but it looks like scale is not driven by fractal noise correctly.

Is it possible to control each shape separately created with repeater without breaking into separately layers?

Return to posts index

Arthur Hakhverdian
Re: Animate repeater shapes instances individually
on Mar 21, 2019 at 10:30:21 am

If I understand correctly what you're going for here, then no. I'm afraid you can not control repeater generated shapes as you'd like to. Through some tricky play with basic transform params you may be able to arrange the array of shapes in certain interesting curvy, or kaleidoscopic formations and whatnot, but that's about it. The relative transforms in the chain can only be incremental. You can't, for instance, have things like circle #4 be smaller than circle #5 and then circle#6 also smaller that circle#5, etc.

I hope I'm on the same page.

Return to posts index

Alex Printz
Re: Animate repeater shapes instances individually
on Mar 21, 2019 at 3:50:34 pm

no, but I've seen a simple plugin script that will 'bake' repeats into seperate elements (basically duplicating the content and applying the repeat properties into the transform properties) so that you can animate them individually. Never used it, but it is a 'pay what you want' so you could test it out for free:

https://aescripts.com/shape-repeater-baker/

Alex Printz
Mograph Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]