ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Dynamically scaling 3x3 grid

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Thomas
Dynamically scaling 3x3 grid
on Jan 28, 2019 at 9:40:44 pm

Hello! Trying like mad to create a dynamic 3x3 grid.

I need something that scales the other cels when I resize a single cel; something along the lines of:

https://vimeo.com/206550744

I'm decent with scripting, but the math in this one is just too tough for me. I'd love a hand if anyone has done something like this in the past.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Natalie Edler
Re: Dynamically scaling 3x3 grid
on Jan 29, 2019 at 4:59:31 pm

I unfortunately don't have an answer for you, but am trying to do this exact same thing. I can't figure out how to write the expression either....just following this in case you get a reply!

Return to posts index

Paul Connors
on Jan 29, 2019 at 7:55:30 pm

Hi. I'm just flying by but figured I'd give my two cents. Perhaps using a sourceRectAtTime along with "height" and "width" for each layer and then using the dimensions of the comp would be a place to start. For example, if your comp is 1920x1080 you'd want the sum of the widths of cells A1+B1+C1 to equal 1920 and the sum of the heights of cells A1+A2+A3 to equal 1080. I'm SURE there are way smarter people than me that might have a better way of doing this though. Good luck!

Return to posts index

Chris Thomas
on Jan 29, 2019 at 10:10:04 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, Paul! I'm still playing around with this today and will post any success I have.

Fingers crossed—

Return to posts index

Natalie Edler
on Jan 29, 2019 at 10:28:20 pm

I'm still curious how to do this with expressions, but we found this plug-in that can achieve a similar effect to what you posted...
https://paulslemmer.com/rigged-box/

You can put multiple rectangles within one shape layer and then control the scaling of the x and y dimensions and how they effect one another. So far it's doing the trick for what I was trying to accomplish!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jan 30, 2019 at 4:49:55 pm

I believe it is going to turn into a circular problem the moment you try to do this with more than one rectangle shape. Meaning one where you have an expression in layer A trying to read the result of expression on layer B trying to read the result of expression on layer A. In my estimate it would work better by using nulls that controlled the vertical and horizontal separation points of the boxes, which would give you stable reference points to look up.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Cameron Walker
on Feb 19, 2019 at 8:59:15 pm

Hi Chris,

I made something a little while ago that might help. If you want to download this template and check it out, feel free:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/256lm1hn28g2eq4/StudioHippo-RiggedBox-Template.zi...

I've set this up so that the contents of each box are masked when the boxes shift/resize, but you could probably parent the precomps' scale values to the controllers as well so they squish/stretch like your example.

Anyway, hope it helps!
Cameron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]