ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Capture number of lines in Paragraph Text for expression

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Troy Poirier
Capture number of lines in Paragraph Text for expression
on Jan 24, 2019 at 9:07:35 pm

I'm looking for a way to find the number of lines in a paragraph text box.

The text is dynamically generated when I create a new composition or modify the composition name. It pulls the text from TSV data in a separate composition, and all the text flows/wraps in the paragraph text to create anywhere from 1 to 8 lines of text. I have a null object with a slider that I manually input the number of lines (needed for an animation unrelated to this question), but having this variable propagate automatically would save me time, as every week I need to update this slider within multiple compositions.

I looked into the following options :

1) Range Selector : obviously knows how many lines ("selector("Range Selector 1").end") with "index" and "lines" set, but once set, the "end" number does not update with the new text.

2) Expression Selector : knows how many lines and uses the variable "textTotal" to do the math, but I cannot figure out how to extract that variable for use elsewhere in the composition.

Can't seem to find an answer to this but I feel like it should be possible; and maybe I am way off and After Effects just doesn't allow for this. Any help appreciated.

Return to posts index

Alex Printz
Re: Capture number of lines in Paragraph Text for expression
on Jan 24, 2019 at 9:27:59 pm

you could do something like measuring the height of your text box and dividing by the height of the leading between lines:

var t = thePathToTheTextObject;
var h = 12; //make this a size appropriate to the line height in pixels; can't pull dynamically from character panel;
var n = text.sourceRecAtTime(time)/h;
n.toFixed(0)

I would suggest rigging h to a slider and test until it seems right, and then keep it there until it (might) break.

Alex Printz
Mograph Designer

Return to posts index

Alex Printz
on Jan 24, 2019 at 9:28:45 pm

whoops, that:

var t = thePathToTheTextObject;
var h = 12; //make this a size appropriate to the line height in pixels; can't pull dynamically from character panel;
var n = t.sourceRecAtTime(time)/h;
n.toFixed(0)

Alex Printz
Mograph Designer

Return to posts index

Troy Poirier
on Jan 28, 2019 at 3:50:14 pm

Thank you so much, Alex! I don't know why your specific code didn't work for me, but you set me off in the right direction with sourceRectAtTime(). I found a similar chunk of code from Dan Ebberts elsewhere that led me to the solution below. Only oddity in this code was that I had to add a "padding" variable in order for the position value to match the manual setting I had before. Not a big deal, and this saves me so much time!

// text layer
t = thisComp.layer("text");

// paragraph text height
r = t.sourceRectAtTime(time,true).height;

// font line height + padding
y = 75;
p = y + 5;

// paragraph height divided by line height = # of lines
n = r/y;

// removes any decimals
n = n.toFixed(0);

/* code below spits out the Y Position values