ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Control Fade In/Out Color on Text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mervin James
Control Fade In/Out Color on Text
on Jan 24, 2019 at 12:35:25 am

So I have a text colored white which fades to red which I animated using the Fill Effect. What Id like to do is connect the colors to a color control so I can easily switch what ever color I want. Can anyone help with an expression to do this. Also if there is a more convenient way feel free to share it. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Mervin James
Re: Control Fade In/Out Color on Text
on Jan 24, 2019 at 5:28:35 pm

anyone. please?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jan 24, 2019 at 5:41:28 pm

It's not clear (to me at least) what your question is. If you want connect the red of your Fill effect to a color control, you can do that with the pick whip. If you also want to connect the white, you might be better off using Fill Color animators for both colors and connecting those to the color controls. It may also depend on how you're animating the color change.

Dan

Return to posts index

Mervin James
on Jan 24, 2019 at 8:26:17 pm

Hey Dan. What I wanted to do was just switch from one color to a next and able to have the option of connecting each of the colors to a color control effect so I dont have to go into the layer to change the colors I could just do it through the Color Control.

See the screenshot below. I did it like this but I was wondering if there was a differentr more convenient way to do it. Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated.

screenshot

Return to posts index

Brian Holzknecht
on Jan 25, 2019 at 12:45:03 am

Hey Mervin,

So I think I saw in some previous posts that you were kind of new to after effects, (about 4 months or so), so I'll do my best to help you out with this. First off, if you just want to change text color like you are doing, there are a few ways to do it. With that said, to change between two colors you don't need 2 fill effects, you can just animate the actual color parameter of a single fill effect, but obviously when you do that you need to be on the keyframe to change the colors or you'll add keyframes in between. If you want to use an expression I would have 3 controls in your Control Layer, 2 color controls like you have and a slider control named "ColorTrans". Place the below expression onto a single fill effect on your text layer and then you can animate the slider control to transition between the colors.

Hope that helps,

Brian

c1 = thisComp.layer("Control").effect("Color Control")("Color");
c2 = thisComp.layer("Control").effect("Color Control 2")("Color");
trans = thisComp.layer("Control").effect("ColorTrans")("Slider");

linear(trans, 0, 100, c1, c2)

Return to posts index

Brian Holzknecht
on Jan 25, 2019 at 12:53:32 am

Hey Mervin,

I apologize, I don't know why I think I saw something that you were new to AE, regardless, hopefully that'll fix your issue.

Brian

Return to posts index

Mervin James
on Jan 25, 2019 at 5:59:55 am

It's all good Mike. I am new to AE and learning alot from you guys on here. Thanks for your response. I'll try this asap.

Return to posts index

Mervin James
on Jan 25, 2019 at 6:58:04 pm

My apologies for calling you Mike. I was half asleep at my pc when I typed that response Brian... I did do it with the one fill at first but couldnt figure out how to link the two colors to the Color Control. Anyways, thank you very much for your response... the expression worked flawlessly. Will be saving it for future use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]