ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

layer spacing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Holzknecht
layer spacing
on Jan 22, 2019 at 7:40:51 pm

So I've asked this question a couple years ago, and unfortunately I only got one response and it didn't quite work for what I was trying to do. At the time I just did a work around and made it work, but now I'm hoping someone can help me with it again.

First off, I'm not very good with after effects expressions, but I do love the idea of being able to build little systems with them, so I spend a lot of time with trial and error and usually I'm able to figure things out, but this has got me stumped.

its basically a bar graph setup. My setup is 2 null object called "TR" & "BL" that defines the top left and bottom right area my layers stay in. Each bar layer is named "bar 1, bar 2, bar 3, etc...). Currently I can add any number of bars and they all stay within that area with even spacing between each, centered within the box. I would like to be able to add additional spacing between every 3rd, 4th or 5th... bar using a slider control. basically I would want to add two sliders one that defines how many bars should be in a group and one that adds this additional spacing.

I figured I needed to use the modulus operator in some way and probably a for loop to add the spacing to each layer, but honestly I'm completely stuck. The last time I posted this question the solution was to name the layers differently but that kind of defeats the purpose. the expression below is what I currently have on all my layers x position. Also maybe there is a more efficient/better way to do what I'm doing, but this is currently working for me. I'm pretty sure I have way too many parenthesis as well, but I haven't cleaned it up yet.

Thanks in advance

Brian Holzknecht

barNum = thisLayer.name.split("bar ")[1];
barTot= Math.floor(thisComp.layer("Layout").effect("number bars")("Slider"));
boxTR = thisComp.layer("TR").transform.position;
boxBL = thisComp.layer("BL").transform.position;
boxWidth = boxTR[0] - boxBL[0];
barWidth = thisComp.layer("Layout").effect("bar width")("Slider");
newSpace = boxWidth / (barTot-1);

(boxTR[0] + boxBL[0]) /2 + barNum*(newSpace-(barWidth/(barTot-1))) - (newSpace+(boxWidth*.5))+((barWidth/2)+(barWidth/(barTot-1)))

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: layer spacing
on Jan 23, 2019 at 8:39:41 am
Last Edited By Kalleheikki Kannisto on Jan 23, 2019 at 8:49:18 am

Would be much easier to help you if it is possible to upload the file. Otherwise I would have to rebuild the project without any knowledge of what other expressions are in play, and the likelihood is high that I would just give you an answer that is unsuitable for other mechanics you have in the project.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Brian Holzknecht
on Jan 23, 2019 at 8:24:57 pm

I'm not 100% sure how to share projects but here it is, I hope. I work on this project a little more each year, because I pretty much don't do any more after effects animations, but I have one client that still wants to use me once a year on a big project with a lot of bar graphs and charts, so I figured I might as well have some fun with it and try to automate a lot of it.

13053_basicbargraph2019.aep.zip

Thanks

Brian

Return to posts index

Brian Holzknecht
on Jan 23, 2019 at 8:27:49 pm

Also all the expressions in my project may be terrible because I don't fully understand what I'm doing all the time, but they do seem to get the job done.

Thanks,

Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]