ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Bar graph scales up and down as data fluctuates over time?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angela Ravi
Bar graph scales up and down as data fluctuates over time?
on Jan 5, 2019 at 7:42:53 am

Hi,
I need to create a bar graph that grows taller and shrinks according to values pulled from a Json file. So every second the graph grows taller or shorter. and I would also like the movement every second to be easy eased. So basically the line moves from point a to point b then pauses, then moves from point b to point c, pauses and so on until it reaches the end of the data.

What I have managed to do so far...
I've managed to get the values from the json file assigned to Nulls and then do a trim path to animate the line that connect the nulls together, however I'm not sure how to easy ease the movement from one null point to the next null point. The line right now simply travels from the first null to the last null at a constant speed.

Could someone kindly help. I'm new to After Effects and expressions.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Bar graph scales up and down as data fluctuates over time?
on Jan 5, 2019 at 9:42:18 am

A screen grab of your setup and current expressions would help. In the first paragraph you're describing a single bar graph, in the second you're describing a line graph with many points, so it is hard to tell what the actual aim is.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Angela Ravi
on Jan 5, 2019 at 11:24:33 am

Hi Kalleheikki,
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Here's a screen grab with the code attached to the separate nulls visible.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jan 5, 2019 at 6:10:07 pm
Last Edited By Kalleheikki Kannisto on Jan 5, 2019 at 6:26:23 pm

Do you have this set up so that the path points are controlled by the nulls? Do you just need the expression for the trim paths end to move one null forward with ease and a little stop in between with one-second intervals?

If that is the objective, it would be better achieved by moving a track matte layer above the graph line and reveal the graph that way. That would then be an expression which moves the matte layer from left to right by the horizontal distance between the graph points once per second with an ease . This way you don't need to worry about the varying path lengths between the points, which would be an issue you'd have to deal with with trim paths.

Or possibly I'm still not getting an accurate picture of what the expected end result is.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]