ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Controlling color of a layer from outside a time remapped comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sergio Pol
Controlling color of a layer from outside a time remapped comp
on Jan 3, 2019 at 4:03:07 pm

Hi, I have my main comp with 3 layers: a video layer, a handmade animations layer and an adjustment layer with the color control effect. The handmade animation layer is indeed a time remapped comp markers triggered by Dan Ebberts method. So inside it I have every animated element I use and I want to control their color at will from the main comp. I'm not using the fill effect directly over the layer since some animations are comprised of two or more elements and applying a fill effect would fill everything thus losing the visual impact. The problem is that the elements inside the comp seem to be taking just the first color assigned in the main timeline. I guess it has to do with the layer being time remapped and the time inside the comp is different from the main timeline. Is there a way to get around this? Thank you for any help you can give me on this.

Here you can see main comp with the handmade animation colored by the first color assigned in the color control layer

This shows how the element is not colored as intended

Here's a pic from inside the handmade animations comp.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Controlling color of a layer from outside a time remapped comp
on Jan 3, 2019 at 6:11:58 pm

Yes, it is time remapping messing this up.

I'd say your best, or at least the easiest, option is to use two (or more) precomps where you need two (or more) different colored animation to occur at the same time and apply the color directly to the precomps.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Sergio Pol
Re: Controlling color of a layer from outside a time remapped comp
on Jan 3, 2019 at 6:44:58 pm

Thanks for your input Kalleheikki. I was afraid of this so I continued working with the less automatized method like the one you suggested. This brings confirmation to my assumptions however so your answer is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]