ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Change color of one text character in an expression

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry McCarthy
Change color of one text character in an expression
on Nov 29, 2018 at 7:50:00 pm

Hi everyone. Long time listener, first time caller. I've been doing some digging and haven't really come across an answer to my question, or perhaps it's in there and just buried in a bunch of code. So, I thought I'd ask here, which has been a helpful forum for me in the past (via Google searches).

I have a comp I'm using in a video that deals with some data -- specifically amounts of money given to certain groups.

As I cycle through V/O of the groups, I have an animation sliding the number down to correspond to the groups referenced. The dollar amounts are in millions, and so we decided to just put an "m" after the number. So, $40 million would be "$40m" ... make sense?

So the question is, can I make the "m" a different color than the "$" and the number? Here's the code I have in the expression box right now:

"$"+effect("Slider Control")("Slider").value.toFixed(1)+"m"

Forgot to add. Most of the figures we're displaying have one decimal place. Anyway, I hope the question makes sense, and thank you kindly for your help. Keep in mind I'm still getting my sea legs with this program, so you might be talking over my head a bit. If I need you to dumb it down for me, though, I'll ask.

Thanks again!!

"$"+effect("Slider Control")("Slider").value.toFixed(1)+"m"

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Change color of one text character in an expression
on Nov 29, 2018 at 8:49:32 pm

You could add a Fill Color animator, add an Expression Selector, and add this expression to the Expression Selector's Amount property:

textIndex == textTotal ? 100 : 0

Dan

Return to posts index

Gerry McCarthy
Re: Change color of one text character in an expression
on Nov 29, 2018 at 9:27:43 pm

PERFECT. Thanks!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]