ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Expression for random speed and interval of loop animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikki van Onna
Expression for random speed and interval of loop animation
on Nov 22, 2018 at 9:02:33 am

Hello,

I'm totally new to expressions, and have what I think is a fairly simple question.
I want to create an animation of circles simulating rising bubbles, as if opening a can of soda.
These 'bubbles' should then be evenly distributed on the screen, and over time.
Resulting in a continuous flow of bubbles. Of course I could to this manually with keyframes.
But it would be great to have an expression on a looped position animation, with a random speed and random interval.
Then I would just have to add a big number of the same layer to get a good result, or at least I hope so!

I am familiar with Trapcode Particular, but that does not work in this case since the bubbles have to be individual layers.

Looking very much forwards to any solutions or suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Nikki

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Expression for random speed and interval of loop animation
on Nov 22, 2018 at 5:32:28 pm
Last Edited By Kalleheikki Kannisto on Nov 22, 2018 at 5:38:03 pm

This would be a combination of loopOut() with two keyframes and an additional wiggle for position. Animate one bubble that goes from the bottom to the top (outside the frame at both ends) and add this expression to the position

wiggle(2,25)-value+loopOut()

Then you can control the speed of individual layers by moving the second keyframe and the amount of randomity by adjusting the wiggle settings.

To offset a bubble in time, drag the layer on the timeline so it starts before frame one.

Offsetting both position keyframe at the same time can be a bit tricky if you're not used to it: Put the current time indicator on a position keyframe, select all position keysframes (by clicking on "position") and offset the x value by dragging the X value.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Nikki van Onna
Re: Expression for random speed and interval of loop animation
on Nov 23, 2018 at 9:39:51 am

Perfect solution! Thank you so much!

Have a great weekend,
Nikki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved