ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

sampleImage with Text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Bach
sampleImage with Text
on Nov 17, 2018 at 11:30:41 pm

I would like to bypass using FORM to color my individual characters based on an image. Any ideas?

I made a grid of individual text (over 1000 layers), & using sampleImage for each was able to color (and make transparent),
however as you can imagine this takes a huge processing hit and everything slows down.
Any ideas for a more elegant solution.. (I think Pastiche from Motion Boutique might do it.. less expensive than Form)
but wondering if there is a simpler cheaper solution.. see image..

thanks in advance for any help

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: sampleImage with Text
on Nov 18, 2018 at 10:12:49 am

You could use a monospaced font and use a single paragraph, and might be able to pull off using sampleImage to color the individual characters with an expression selector-based solution. It would be a rather complex expression, running sampleImage in a loop for the entire image in one layer, but I would imagine that would be faster to run 1000 sampleImage calls in one layer in one expression that than running 1 sampleImage call in 1000 individual layers and expressions.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Rob Bach
on Nov 18, 2018 at 3:16:04 pm

thanks Kalleheikki.. that gets my mind working in that direction. (sampling a grid). I am null at expressions, so will start with a
simpler problem getting the individual characters of the text "word" to sampleImage the area behind them.
So something like, sampleImage then assign to character, sampleImage, assign to 2nd character, and so on.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Nov 18, 2018 at 7:25:29 pm
Last Edited By Kalleheikki Kannisto on Nov 18, 2018 at 7:28:01 pm

The expression selector is not very intuitive. It determines the percentage of how much of a certain effect is applied, so to get a value between white and black you can have black text, add a white color effect to it and use the expression selector to set the percentage of the white color used for each letter on top of the original black, resulting in levels of gray. You would use the result of your set of sampleImage values to determine this percentage depending on character index. The same index would be multiplied by the letter+space pixel width for the x-position of the sampleImage location. Yes, and it is as difficult as it sounds.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Rob Bach
on Nov 19, 2018 at 12:39:04 am

well I found a simple solution, though it lacks some versatility.
I just used Mosaic to pixelize the photo. In my case 42 columns by 36 rows. Then I
used Dan Ebberts Binary Block expression (thank you once again Dan) and matched the
same numbers. Then I just masked out the numbers and colored with Stencil Luma.

However I wanted the text to wiggle a little with the numbers overlapping.. and cannot do it this method, without
cutting off the edges of some of the numbers. I am satisfied with the results however.. very simple
solution. see photo

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Nov 19, 2018 at 10:52:32 am

Speaking of simple solutions, doing an overlay of a blurred version of the source image gives you almost the same effect, and you can wiggle the letters.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Rob Bach
on Nov 19, 2018 at 1:27:11 pm

not sure it would work.. I need to subtract the text outside the face...and when they wiggle
they will be cut off by the mask.
If I could reference the color and mask from the 1st frame only ... then this could work.
thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]