ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Change only the color of UPPERCASE WORDS using an expression in Adobe After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Rojas-Godoy
Change only the color of UPPERCASE WORDS using an expression in Adobe After Effects
on Nov 1, 2018 at 6:25:35 pm
Last Edited By Ian Rojas-Godoy on Nov 1, 2018 at 6:50:27 pm

Hi, Creatives! I have a challenge for you.

I have been trying to solve this puzzle for the last couple of hours; maybe you can answer it!

In Adobe After Effects, I would like to change only the color of uppercase words in a sentence to a specific color using an expression.

Long story short, I am creating an Adobe Premiere template in After Effects using the "Essential Graphics " window. The Essential Graphics editor in Adobe Premiere won't allow the user to change more than one color in the "source text box." I need for every uppercase word to change to a specific color. I am assuming one can get around this issue by automating this action with an expression in After Effects.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can provide! 😇

- Ian

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Change only the color of UPPERCASE WORDS using an expression in Adobe After Effects
on Nov 2, 2018 at 3:18:09 pm

On the concept level, my first inclination would be to do this:

1) Separate the source text to individual words array by splitting at space character
2) Loop through each letter in each word and give each word a "isUpperCase" (variable) boolean value of true only if there are zero lower case alphabets there
3) Add a color expression to the text
4) With an expression selector, set the value of those characters that are in the "isUpperCase" words to 100%

The question is how do you do #4? Perhaps by creating at step 2 a string that has the exact number of zeros and ones corresponding to each letter of text and spaces and then at step 4 set the selector value to 100 if the characterAt is "1" or to 0 if the characterAt is "0". So for the sentence "My sentence WITH some upperCASE." You would get the matching string of "00000000000011110000000000000000". Note that the word "upperCASE" would have the values "0" since it is a mix.

Better methods are bound to exist.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]