ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

animate tentacles using normals from a path, create path expression & math.sin expression

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rockie Ssengonzi
animate tentacles using normals from a path, create path expression & math.sin expression
on Oct 25, 2018 at 4:49:56 pm

Hi,

I am tryimg to re create this tentacle

but want ro know how i would integrate the math.sin or some other expression to make it animate like a whip or freely moving self animating tentacle. Kindly help me brain storm on this.

Rockie Ssengonzi
for
UGANDANE
Simply With Finess & Flair

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
Re: animate tentacles using normals from a path, create path expression & math.sin expression
on Oct 25, 2018 at 9:02:15 pm

Would you still want to base it on a spline that you animate, and the Sin-Function also impacts the shape,
or just a procedural animation using only formulas ?

Return to posts index

Rockie Ssengonzi
Re: animate tentacles using normals from a path, create path expression & math.sin expression
on Feb 17, 2019 at 8:33:44 pm

Yes Filip Vandueren exactly how yoy stated it. Based on the spline points animated with sin or cosine and have that movement affect the plist normals path.

Rockie Ssengonzi
for
UGANDANE
Simply With Finess & Flair

Return to posts index

Alex Printz
on Feb 19, 2019 at 5:54:53 pm

I don't think you could do it easily; sin/cos are not native properties to bezier curves. To combine them you need to add additional vector points to your splines and then adjust their positions based on that.

You would need to define a much larger amount of points along the spline, calculate the total length of the spline between the points, calculate out a period for the sin wave relative to the total length of the spline, check the point positions along the spline, calculate the sin value relative to the point on the spline the period and the animated time, multiply that by an intensity vector, and then factor that into your normal calculation plus the position of the spline points.

You could also try to figure out how to calculate the controller spline and it's in/out tangents to do this, but it's too much to figure out off the top of my head.

Alex Printz
Mograph Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]