ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Expression for CC World Particle to Bounce Off of Another Layer or Mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Iz Rog
Expression for CC World Particle to Bounce Off of Another Layer or Mask
on Oct 22, 2018 at 3:44:50 am

Hello - I'm trying to have the CC World particle react or bounce off a separate layer or mask. In my case, I have particles shooting out of each eyes --both on separate layers (monster left eye, and right eye), the particles are moving with the predefined path and flowing according to the physics (gravity, velocity, etc), but the particles (which are sphere like) are not bouncing off, or reacting with face, and the rest of the body, or the particles from each eye. It's just falling downward, like it's nothing to hit against while it's going down, or when it's moving across the screen. Is there a way of having the particles react when it hits a separate layer, or mask like the face, the other eye, body, movement etc.

Thanks in advance for your help...(:

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Expression for CC World Particle to Bounce Off of Another Layer or Mask
on Oct 23, 2018 at 9:15:54 am

As far as I know, CC Particle World only uses a floor for bounce. I guess you could make a comp where the floor is turned (well, really the entire comp is turned) to some other angle than level to get one bounce from a flat surface. Maybe combined with a gravity that is at an angle it could work.

Particular (commercial plugin) has it slightly better: It has a floor and a wall surface you can bounce off of. Plus you can freely position those layers at any position and angle and the particles will also fall once they go outside the layer area. So that's a bit better. I've used that to a convincing effect in a number of cases even when the bounce surfaces are not actually flat. You can fool the eye to a degree. And you have the option of using a motion path to fake the bounce as well.

For a physics bounce of any complexity from within After Effects, (commercial) Superluminal Stardust seems to be pretty much the only option currently. Even C4D Lite excludes physics.

Outside of AE, there's always Blender.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]