ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Extendscript: Add Pseudo Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Heimbuchner
Extendscript: Add Pseudo Effect
on Oct 18, 2018 at 7:39:08 am

Hey there,

A script I'm working on adds a few control effects to a layer.
For aesthetics, I'd like them to be added as a Pseudo Effect. Is there a reliable way to do this in Extendscript that doesn't require the user of the script to fiddle around in some deep down XML files?
I know there's extendscript syntax supporting XML (new XML()), but afaik it's mostly focussing on creating/reading/writing XML files as a way of exchanging data.

Help is much appreciated.
Thanks alot in advance,
Simon

Return to posts index

Alex Printz
Re: Extendscript: Add Pseudo Effect
on Oct 18, 2018 at 5:32:14 pm

I've used the pseudo effect maker plugin before with great success.

https://aescripts.com/pseudo-effect-maker/

Alex Printz
Mograph Designer

Return to posts index

Simon Heimbuchner
on Oct 18, 2018 at 5:57:16 pm

Hey Alex, thanks for your response!
I've actually used that plugin before – either I'm missing something or I didn't phrase my request correctly, sorry.
Is there a way to create a Pseudo Effect from within a script, like you would add an effect? like: mySolid.property("Effects").addProperty("ADBE Slider Control")

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Oct 19, 2018 at 12:51:45 am

For a script to be able to add a pseudo effect with addProperty(), the effect needs to be defined in the PresetEffects.xml file. Your script could check that file to see if it's in there, add the XML code if it isn't, save the file, restart AE, then add the effect (of course you'd probably have to save a temporary copy of the current project so you could restore the context after restarting AE). Quite a pain actually.

I generally do all that by hand on my system, add the effect to a layer, and save the effect as a preset. Then my script can just add the preset to a layer without the pseudo effect having to exist in the local PresetEffects.xml file. Much easier.

Dan

Return to posts index

Simon Heimbuchner
on Oct 23, 2018 at 7:35:23 am

Hey Dan,

Thanks a lot for your clear and detailed response.
That actually is quite a lot of pain, wow. Sounds like a few frustrating hours of work.
I guess I'll just have to work without fancy Pseudo Effects then.

Simon

Return to posts index

Santi Agustí
on Oct 23, 2018 at 10:52:59 pm

I think you will love this splendid piece of code by Tomas Sinkunas.
You need to save your pseudo as .ffx , then convert it to binary and follow this approach:
https://bitbucket.org/snippets/rendertom/qj5M4/apply-pseudo-effect-as-anima...

Return to posts index

Simon Heimbuchner
on Oct 24, 2018 at 7:59:53 pm

Wow, this is amazing! What a cool piece of code. Thanks a lot for bringing this up, works great for me.

Return to posts index

Simon Heimbuchner
on Oct 30, 2018 at 9:43:43 pm

Hey, me again – I've been out of town and only got around to test the code snippet as provided.
Now, trying to include my own ffx, I failed with converting ffx to binary.
Any help with that? Extendscript's Convert to Binary doesn't seem to help, and the only alternative I've stumbled upon is this script (https://aescripts.com/file-to-binary-converter/) for sale at aescripts. Seems a bit of stretch for a seemingly simple problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]