ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How does the parent rotation affects the child specifically?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Ecthelion
How does the parent rotation affects the child specifically?
on Jun 29, 2018 at 8:04:33 am

Hi Everyone.

Recently, I found a little thing in parenting relationship. I'll illustrate my scenario.

I have a little 3d solid and a 3d null. Here are their rotation and orientation value:

After I parent the solid to the 3d null(named 'Parent'), the child's orientation value changes to keep the original transform status. That is nothing special.

But here comes the question: How can I get the result of [338.0,353.8,307.1] from [25,0,0]? Is there a formula to calculate this? I guess I'm gonna need it in my project.

And here is another interesting thing: the camera won't change its orientation value to keep its original transform after parenting.

Here is the rotation and orientation value before parenting:

And here is the camera in custom view:

After parenting, the rotation and orientation value didn't change, so it is impossible that the camera will still maintain its original transform. So it jumped a little bit. Like this:

It seems that the same holds true for spot light. I guess it is because they both have point of interest?(Not sure)

So I think if I can make out how the child's orientation value is affected by the parent's rotation, I can make compensation for the jumping issue of camera parenting.

How could I achieve this via expression or scripting?

Any reply will be appreciated.

Aaron

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: How does the parent rotation affects the child specifically?
on Jul 1, 2018 at 4:47:38 pm

Not certain of what you are trying to achieve, but my guess is you want the parenting without some of the rotations.

If that is what you're after, one option is to make a null that gets the position values and only those rotation values from your current parent layer and then parent the camera to that null.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]