ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Move an object from one null position to another null position with Slider Control

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guido Giardino
Move an object from one null position to another null position with Slider Control
on Jun 14, 2018 at 1:15:57 am

Hi! I have a difficult one!! I'm trying to create an expression but I'm far from the goal. I explain what I'm trying to do:

I have 2 null objects. Both are moving independently along the composition. I need an expression that let me move one shape layer from the first null position (wherever it is), to the position of second null object (wherever it is too). And I think that will be nice to use an slider control in which 0 value will be perfect matching the first null position and 100 will be perfect matching the second null position. So wherever both null objects are, keyframing the slide control from 0 to 100 will move the shape layer object trough the position of the first null to the other null in a straight line.

I hope you can help me!!!

Sorry my poor english!!

Best regards!

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
Re: Move an object from one null position to another null position with Slider Control
on Jun 14, 2018 at 2:03:14 am

[Guido Giardino] "I need an expression that let me move one shape layer from the first null position (wherever it is), to the position of second null object (wherever it is too). And I think that will be nice to use an slider control in which 0 value will be perfect matching the first null position and 100 will be perfect matching the second null position."

I'm not the most accomplished at expressions but I had an idea for this that seemed to work - the AE project is here ;
http://kingluma.com/xpressionQuestion6-13-2018.aep.zip
there is an expression control slider (0 to 100) applied to the shape layer that should do what you requested and the expression is applied to the position parameter of the shape layer

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Move an object from one null position to another null position with Slider Control
on Jun 14, 2018 at 6:36:28 am

I think it should be as simple as this, expression applied to object position:

linear(pick-whip-slider-value-here, 0, 100, pick-whip-null-1-position-here, pick-whip-null-2-position-here)

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Andreas Brand
on Jun 14, 2018 at 7:41:35 am

Very fast solution!
And if you want you can use markers on the shape layer instead of an extra slider controll.
Just put two markers on the shape layer with this code in the position property:

linear(time, thisLayer.marker.key(1).time, thisLayer.marker.key(2).time, pick-whip-null-1-position-here, pick-whip-null-2-position-here);

Return to posts index

Guido Giardino
on Jun 14, 2018 at 12:39:59 pm

Hi guys!! Awesome how easy you make things seem!! All of the solutions you post work perfect!!!

Many many many thanks!!!

Best Regards!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]