ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Path progress on specific point

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jakob Wagner
Path progress on specific point
on May 29, 2018 at 11:35:44 am

Hi all

With this expression I can set anothers layers position to be exactly half way on a path.

var pathLayer = thisComp.layer("Shape Layer 1");
var progress = 0.5;
var pathToTrace = pathLayer("ADBE Root Vectors Group")(1)("ADBE Vectors Group")(1)("ADBE Vector Shape");
pathLayer.toComp(pathToTrace.pointOnPath(progress));

My question is; is there a way to get the progress for specific Point (anchor/vertex) on the path. Say the path is made out of five points, can I somehow get the exact progress for the second point? Pretty sure this isn't posible with the default expressions, but I thought some one in here might had found a clever way to do it.

Did that make sense? If not please ask.

Thanks,
Jakob

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Path progress on specific point
on May 29, 2018 at 1:21:53 pm

I don't know of an easy solution for this. I think you'd have to use some kind of iterative solution. I don't have the code for one, but I'd love to see it.

Dan

Return to posts index

Alex Printz
on May 29, 2018 at 1:43:16 pm

Try this:

var pathLayer = thisComp.layer("Shape Layer 1");
pathLayer.points(time)[1]

you might need to do a comp/world conversion conversion.

-Alex

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on May 31, 2018 at 5:08:34 pm
Last Edited By Kalleheikki Kannisto on May 31, 2018 at 5:22:31 pm

I wonder if it is possible to copy just one segment of a path to another path, say the path between points two and three, wherein it would be progress 0-1 between those point of the original path. Not sure if it is possible or even applicable for your needs, but it's a thought.

If it works, you would have the secondary path take on the first, then second, then third then fourth segment of the original path and progress 0-1 through each. Although traveling speed would change depending on segment length, so that wouldn't be much good if you need even progress...

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Jakob Wagner
on Jun 1, 2018 at 3:48:53 pm

I like the way you think creative about it. It's a good Idea, which could work in some cases. Unfortunatly not in mine. But thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]