ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Switch parent layer using Checkbox

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephan Zammit
Switch parent layer using Checkbox
on Apr 25, 2018 at 8:27:29 am

Hi, I am currently working on a rig. During animation I wanted to give the option to switch the parent of a number of layers to become parented to another layer, using a checkbox. So basically when checkbox is on they are parented to layer 01, then when checkbox is off they are parented to layer 02. Is this possible, or do you know a way to turn around this. Even maybe a way without parenting.

I was trying to constraint position & rotation directly to layer 01, then when checkbox is off switch the constraint to the position & rotation of layer 2; but this makes the layer jump to the other layers position. I would like it to maintain its current position and rotation and just follow layer 2 as in parenting.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Switch parent layer using Checkbox
on Apr 29, 2018 at 8:01:09 am

I'd say it is doable, but you will save time and pain by splitting the layer(s) at the hand-off point and using a different parent for the two parts of the split layer(s).

Although I haven't tried it, were you to do this with a checkbox plus expressions, it seems that you would have to subtract the position of the first layer at the time (valueAtTime) when the checkbox is ticked/unticked and "parent" to the second layer by expressions, not by pick-whipping. Not too straightforward, IMO.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]