ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Expression to turn in/out animations on and off?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Katryna Sleptzoff
Expression to turn in/out animations on and off?
on Mar 1, 2018 at 8:45:47 pm

Hi all, still somewhat new to expressions so I'm not even sure if this is possible...

So, basically what I have is a textbox that has an in and out animation, and I've templated it out to the essential graphics panel for editors to use in premiere.
What I want to do is give the editor a check box (well, two checkboxes-- one for the in and another for the out), that when checked, will show the the textbox animating on(or off), and when unchecked, won't show that animation--- so that premiere editors don't have to maually cut it themselves.

If youre familiar with templating out from motion to fcpx, I basically want to give editors an optional build in/out option.

Any ideas for the best way to go about this? Thank you so much in advance-- creative cow is a godsend and all of you are amazing for spending your time answering q's like these.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Expression to turn in/out animations on and off?
on Mar 1, 2018 at 9:17:38 pm

How are you doing the in and out animation?

Dan

Return to posts index

Katryna Sleptzoff
on Mar 1, 2018 at 10:32:30 pm

What do you mean? Like specifically which properties I'm keyframing for the in/out animations? It varies-- I would be doing this for the gfx packages of a couple different brands. Here is an example of one of them- https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/watch/this-country-is-crazy-about-mandatory...

Would it have to be customized to each indiv property? Ideally I would have one expression I could apply across the board to any templated element.. they want the option for everything-- text boxes, bug, titles etc. Totally fine if thats just wishful thinking though. Editors are used to working in FCPX which is why they want it-- I know you can cut it manually in premiere but they put out so many stories a day that an option like that helps cut down on time they spend editing. Just to be clear, It's all exported as a .mogrt file, which is why I want to link it to a checkbox.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Mar 1, 2018 at 11:17:41 pm

Each animated property would need its own expression and the nature of the expression would depend on the property and how it's being animated. They could all be controlled by the same checkbox though. I'm not sure there's a general answer.

Dan

Return to posts index

Steve Sierra
on Mar 2, 2018 at 4:52:44 am

Hi,

I'm not sure this is a good idea, but you could preComp your intro and outro animations as well as your non animated version.
That way, you end up with three layers and can play on the opacity to show/hide the animations ?

Cheers !

Return to posts index

Katryna Sleptzoff
on Mar 2, 2018 at 5:31:43 pm

[Steve Sierra] "Hi,

I'm not sure this is a good idea, but you could preComp your intro and outro animations as well as your non animated version.
That way, you end up with three layers and can play on the opacity to show/hide the animations ?

Cheers !"

That is a good idea-- I was thinking at first I could precomp it too, but wasn't sure how I would have it turn on/off for those specific times still,... But with your solution, I can link the opacity of the beginning/in precomp layer and end/out precomp layer to an on/off checkbox.. I'll paste that here in case anyone in the future stumbles upon this thread, it's super easy but also I'll dumb it down for people like me who aren't familiar haha. You just add a checkbox control to your layer (or any layer you want to have the control on, doesn't matter), then open up the opacity expression box, and write " if( " (no quotes or spaces), then, pickwhip it to the checkbox control-- it will automatically put some info in there, and then write " ==0) 0 else 100; "

Expression should look similar to below in the end. (The "effect("Checkbox Control")("Checkbox")" might be different depending on where you pickwhipped it to.

By the way, Dan, thank you for all the resources you've written over the years about expressions-- I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it all, but your website has been super helpful. I've found that even though the essential graphics panel is seemingly very limited at first, I've learned that expressions help immensely when I want to give controls to editors, so I've been learning slowly. I really appreciate your site for dumbing the basics of it down too haha, it's been an invaluable resource for me. Thank you.

if(effect("Checkbox Control")("Checkbox")==0) 0 else 100;

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]