Water ripple scaling of shapes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rowan de Geus
Water ripple scaling of shapes
on Feb 16, 2018 at 7:23:03 pm
Last Edited By Rowan de Geus on Feb 17, 2018 at 9:52:43 pm

Hi,

I have a grid of shape layers (all small circles spaced with gaps) that together form the map of my country.

What needs to happen (visually speaking): an object falls into the center of the map, which then creates an invisible water ripple towards the outside of the screen.

In essence: I guess all these shape layer circles need to do is scale up and down from their center anchor point when "touching" the ripple. Normally I would use a displacement map, but that would give me a distorted result compared to scaling the circles up and down.

My thoughts:
I have an expression that scales a layer relative to the distance of another layer, and a script that rotates a layer using sin/cosin.
So maybe I just: make a null start rotating in circles with really high speed that keeps increasing its radius (essentially simulating a water ripple). Then apply a scaling script to all shapes relative to the distance of the rotating null...?

I hope you can help me set this up ☺

Thanks for reading, greets!

EDIT:
Solved! Using RG Trapcode Form to create a grid of circles that scale using a gradient map.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]