ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Expression to increase particular keyframe value every n frames? SOLVED

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dhruv Sharma
Expression to increase particular keyframe value every n frames? SOLVED
on Feb 16, 2018 at 11:36:22 am
Last Edited By Dhruv Sharma on Feb 17, 2018 at 9:00:35 am

So Im creating a typewriter effects where each letter appears every 4 frames.
Right now I'm doing it manually but how I would I go about doing the same using expressions?
I am using the animator with the start value increasing every 4 frames to make the letters appear (Using index instead of percentage)

Thanks to the tip given in this post:

and my own experiment (mainly adding any number after the animator expression to see if it did something, and then replacing the number with x, where x I got from the aforementioned post) I managed to solve my own problem.
I used a factor of .25 to multiply to the value of x so that it would only reveal one letter every 4 frames. And then I used posterize time with a factor of 6.25 to ensure that the opacity would go from 0 to 100 only on the 4th frame (without posterize time the letters would fade in instead of popping in like they do with it on)

For anyone wondering my composition fps is 25, so to get an animation aafter every 4 frames I needed a factor of 6.25 (25/4=6.25). The final expression looks like the one below

x = (time / thisComp.frameDuration) * .25;
text.animator("Animator 1").selector("Range Selector 1").start + x;

I also did one more thing I added the following code to range selector end, so that you can type as much as you want and it will animate automatically

of course the opacity of the animator is set to 0.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved