ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Local Space

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colby Turybury
After Effects Local Space
on Feb 7, 2018 at 4:23:40 pm

If you have ever spent any time in a 3D package you know that there are two spaces within the software. In Maya it is called World Space and Local Space. In world space no matter where you move an object the transforms stay in traditional up down left right forward backward space. In local space the transforms respect the orientation of the object as if the transform was "parented" to the rotation.

OK on to my question. I am asking for a 2D object. Lets just say we have a shape layer that is in the shape of an arrow. I want to rotate that arrow to some arbitrary direction. Lets say 25.2. How can the transforms(position) respect the orientation and allow me to move the arow along X or Y based on the new orientation?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: After Effects Local Space
on Feb 7, 2018 at 4:36:48 pm

You can use layer space transforms. For example, this would move a layer 100 pixels along its local X axis:

value + toCompVec([100,0])

Dan

Return to posts index

Colby Turybury
Re: After Effects Local Space
on Feb 7, 2018 at 5:19:40 pm

Maybe I am not applying your script correctly. Dragging the X value should cause the object to move in the new direction that X is pointing. I am aware this is a 3D layer and I asked for 2D movement.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]