ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Create Delayed Ripple Effect Along Shape Path Using Path Expression Access

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristopher Wile
Create Delayed Ripple Effect Along Shape Path Using Path Expression Access
on Nov 13, 2017 at 11:16:25 pm
Last Edited By Kristopher Wile on Nov 13, 2017 at 11:17:01 pm

I am working on a comp where I have a flyer trailing a path behind it. The flyer is animated to be moving up and down along the Y-axis in 3D space.

I have drawn a shape layer path and using the updated AE path options, I created nulls from the path so that the path vertices could be controlled by said nulls. The null closest to my flyer has been parented to it so that when the flyer moves, the end of the path sticks to it and moves with it.

What I'm trying to do is have that transform ripple down the rest of the path. Imagine you're holding a whip. The whip is connected to your hand and you use that end of the whip to create movement, which then oscillates all the way down the whip to the other end. I want to do the same thing on a time delay to my path so that the path is essentially following the movement of my flyer.

I have a feeling that I'll want to be using the toComp() and valueAtTime() expressions in some way, however I'm not well versed enough in AE expressions to figure out how to fit it all together.

Any help would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]