ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Delaying Parented Rotation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corey Branigan
Delaying Parented Rotation
on Oct 27, 2017 at 9:17:12 pm

Hi all! I'm trying to wrack my brain around this:
I want a character's hat to have an inertial bounce that follows the head such as:
Head rotates 5 degrees. 2 frames later, the hat rotates 5 degrees, giving the illusion of physical drag.

I've tried modifying Inertia Bounce and Afterease expressions, but these use Key data, not parented/expressed data. I've also read the motionscript.com page: Creating Trails, with no practical re-application. I've gotten to apply a delay to rotation, but just barely. I've even tried to link World Data with nulls to no avail.

If you have any insight on how to make this work, please let me know, thank you!

Return to posts index

DeMarc Johnson
Re: Delaying Parented Rotation
on Nov 8, 2017 at 7:12:56 pm

You can use the valueAtTime method to do a delay in the hat's rotation. The valueAtTime method offsets a property's value by time.

var delay = thisComp.frameDuration * 2; //This will delay the frame by 2, but you can change it to whatever number you want
thisComp.layer("Head").transform.rotation.valueAtTime(time - delay); //Pick whip the head's rotation and add the valueAtTime method, then subtract time with the delay variable in the parenthesis.

For Expression Tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe77szX2n1WSKsGs-2gmbDw

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]