ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pickwhiping layer properties between comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonardo Galetti
Pickwhiping layer properties between comps
on Oct 10, 2017 at 11:39:29 am

Hey guys, I'm woking on a pretty large project with lots of cameras and null objects, and up to now I've been pickwhipping properties for my null objects between main comp and sub comps without much trouble.

Basically I'm using 2 null objects to rig the position and rotation of the camera in each comp. I pickwhip the position and rotation properties from the nulls in the sub comps to the ones in the main comp to make sure when I rotate one, all the other change with it.

The problem I'm having is that now that the project is almost done I'm organizing the project in a folder in my project tab (not in finder) and as soon as I move my comps from the root to the project folder all of these expressions give me errors saying that the target layer can't be found. I even tries opening the comps in 2 windows and pickwipping the properties again after placing the comps in the folder and it still gives me an error.

What should I do?

Thanks

I'm using 2 seperate null objects, one for position and one for rotation

comp("Base").layer("Cam_Pos").transform.position

comp("Base").layer("Cam_Rot").transform.xrotation
comp("Base").layer("Cam_Rot").transform.yrotation
comp("Base").layer("Cam_Rot").transform.zrotation

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Pickwhiping layer properties between comps
on Oct 10, 2017 at 5:56:39 pm

Is it possible you have more than one comp named "Base" in the project and that by reorganizing them, the wrong one is now the uppermost one in the list of project items?

Dan

Return to posts index

Leonardo Galetti
Re: Pickwhiping layer properties between comps
on Oct 10, 2017 at 6:44:49 pm

This is entirely possible and I hate myself a little for not thinking of it. I've been using the same project file to create a series of short animations, and as I'm done with each one of them I organize them into folder in the project tab. It was in fact that one or more of those folders has another "Base" comp that it being read by the expression. It is now a matter of changing that base comp's name and going through 8 or so duplicates of the sub-comp I was using and change the expression for those.

Thanks a lot Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]