ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

interpolate parameter / adjust rate of change - without keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dirk de Jong
interpolate parameter / adjust rate of change - without keyframes
on Sep 26, 2017 at 3:14:20 pm

The Turbulent Noise and Fractal Noise generator effects don't have an option to auto-animate the Evolution at a specific rate (I wish they did). I'm building a comp in which I'd like to be able to simply control the "speed" or rate of interpolation for the Evolution parameter in a single place - probably with an expression control applied to a null at the top of the comp (without having to use keyframes etc.). Is this reasonably possible using expressions ? Thanks for any info and apologies if I'm missing an obvious answer (I did some googling on it and didn't come up with much)

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
Re: interpolate parameter / adjust rate of change - without keyframes
on Sep 26, 2017 at 9:14:38 pm

I've only ever used expressions at a basic level but after messing with it a bit it seems that variables don't maintain their values from frame to frame so perhaps even setting a param up to continually increment or decrement (without keyframes) is not currently possible with expressions - so the answer to my earlier question is probably "no."

I wouldn't be disappointed to find out I'm somehow wrong about that though : )

I was halfway thinking I had done this before but now I think I am misremembering it and what I was thinking of is a parameter behavior in Apple Motion called "Rate" which allows for doing this

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Sep 26, 2017 at 9:22:10 pm

This may be helpful:

http://motionscript.com/articles/speed-control.html

If you're not discouraged after reading it, come back. ☺

Dan

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Sep 26, 2017 at 11:36:42 pm

[Dan Ebberts] "This may be helpful:
http://motionscript.com/articles/speed-control.html"

Very helpful indeed - thanks a lot. For my relatively simple case (of wanting the Noise evolution to progress in a linear way without keyframes with some control over how fast it progresses) simply taking the first expression on the page you referred me to

spd = 360;
value + time*spd

and in the place where the 360 is changing it to point toward my expression control

spd = (thisComp.layer("Null 1").effect("Slider Control")(1));
value + time*spd

basically gives me what I was after - reading the article further and playing around with key framing the speed I see that it gets a little more complicated - but I can definitely work with this - thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]