ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do you target a LOWER property within the same shape layer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Mellis
How do you target a LOWER property within the same shape layer?
on Aug 29, 2017 at 5:35:34 pm

I have a series of lines that I want to offset horizontally. Each line is in a group. When I tried to put all the line groups in to a new group called lines, I could not figure out how to target the previous line position. Here is the expression I have that works before I tried to put all the line groups into the new group "lines". I haven't used this expression in a while and I have to admit I don't understand " thisProperty.propertyGroup(2)(2)(1) ".

Any help is appreciated. I've found no coherent explanation targeting lower levels within a layer.

theNextIndex = thisProperty.propertyGroup(2).propertyIndex + 1;
theNextGroupIndex = thisProperty.propertyGroup(3).propertyIndex + 1;
xPos = thisComp.layer(index).content(theNextIndex).transform.position[0] + thisProperty.propertyGroup(2)(2)(1).size[0] + effect("buffer")("Slider");
yPos = value[1];
[xPos, yPos];

Return to posts index

Andrei Popa
Re: How do you target a LOWER property within the same shape layer?
on Aug 29, 2017 at 8:55:07 pm

In thisProperty.propertyGroup(2)(2)(1), the numbers are to replace the name of the properties. Things like the group name, "Transform", "Position". If you download the gimmePropPath script from redefinery.com/ae/rd_scripts/ and play a little bit with it, you may understand exactly how this works. The script has option for both number and name path.

Andrei

Return to posts index

Dean Mellis
Re: How do you target a LOWER property within the same shape layer?
on Aug 30, 2017 at 8:43:13 pm

Thank you for this. I will check it out later. I can't imagine why Adobe doesn't look at this and incorporate some of these great scripts. I might have to write to Dear Adobe again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]