ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Play sound when word changes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jarle Leirpoll
Play sound when word changes
on Aug 13, 2017 at 3:56:34 pm

I've built the expression below to the Source Text of a text layer to make words change based on sliders for frame rate, delay before first change, and ramping. It works - but now I want a sound clip to play each time there's a word change. I can't figure out how to do this.

I know I could do it with markers (https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/918559) - but this is different. Since it's all driven by sliders, I can't use markers. I guess I need to add an expression to Time Remapping on the Audio clip, but other than that, I'm blank.

Anyone?

txt = thisComp.layer("Left Text Source").text.sourceText.value.split("*");
frameRate = thisComp.layer("Controls").effect("Left Words per Second")("Slider")*(thisComp.layer("Controls").effect("Ramp Value Compute Left")("Slider")+1);
startDelay = thisComp.layer("Controls").effect("First Change Time")("Slider");
// define which word to show
wordIndex = Math.ceil((time - startDelay)*frameRate);
if (wordIndex&lt;0) wordIndex = 0;
if (wordIndex>=txt.length) wordIndex = txt.length-1;
txt[wordIndex];

Jarle Leirpoll
PremierePro.net

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Play sound when word changes
on Aug 14, 2017 at 12:49:58 am

I think your time remapping would looks something like this:

frameRate = thisComp.layer("Controls").effect("Left Words per Second")("Slider")*(thisComp.layer("Controls").effect("Ramp Value Compute Left")("Slider")+1);

tLast = startDelay+(txt.length-2)*(1/frameRate);
if(time < startDelay){
t = 0;
}else if (time < tLast){
t = (time-startDelay)%(1/frameRate);
}else{
t = time - tLast;
}
t

Time remapping audio can be tricky though, because you can get a chirping sound as the audio rewinds over the last frame. If that's an issue, you may have to manipulate the audio level in sync with the time remapping to squelch the chirp.

Dan

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Aug 14, 2017 at 12:52:23 am

This might actually be a little better:

tLast = startDelay+(txt.length-1)*(1/frameRate);
if(time < startDelay){
t = 0;
}else if (time < tLast){
t = (time-startDelay)%(1/frameRate);
}else{
t = 0;
}
t

Dan

Return to posts index

Jarle Leirpoll
on Aug 14, 2017 at 7:58:28 am

Thanks Dan - this works!

But now I'm getting a problem that I somehow failed to predict: The audio plays faster when I increase the ramping. I need it to play at normal speed. I guess that's not possible with just one clip?

One solution might be to duplicate the audio clip as many times as the maximum allowed number of words, which means maybe 50 times - and let each one get a slightly different expression (or maybe use index?) that plays the clip at normal speed, when a word change happens.

1. Would this (many layers with expressions) slow down the project a lot? (The sound clip is very short)
2. What kind of expression would do this?

Sorry for all the questions - my brain has a problem with time expressions. :-)

Jarle Leirpoll
PremierePro.net

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Aug 14, 2017 at 4:29:50 pm

So are you animating the frame rate? That would introduce a whole new set of problems.

Dan

Return to posts index

Jarle Leirpoll
on Aug 15, 2017 at 8:02:28 am

No, I'm not animating the frame rate. Sorry, "frameRate" was a bad choice of variable name. Naming it "changeRate" would have been better. I'm animating the frequency of word changes (after an initial delay) so that it can be constant (like 1 or 2 words per second) or ramp up from 1 word per second to 30 words per second - or any other numbers the user wants.

So the code you offered worked really well, in the sense that it triggers a sound at every word change, which is what I asked for. But since it's done with Time Remapping, it also changes the speed and pitch of the sound. I need the sound to play at normal speed.

So I'm thinking that it's probably best to use several duplicates of the audio clip. But I have no idea how such a code would look.

Jarle Leirpoll
PremierePro.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]