Question about dynamic comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremiah Batholomis
Question about dynamic comp
on Jul 31, 2017 at 1:03:41 pm
Last Edited By Jeremiah Batholomis on Jul 31, 2017 at 1:05:07 pm

I just want to understand the concept 😉

In Flash you could make an instance of a Movieclip (similar to a comp) and with scripting it was possible to take this instance and make multiple versions of it with different value/variables/whatever.
In After Effects you can`t do this, right?

So, in my case. If i want to have a curvechart f.e. with multiple textfield-comps on it, i do have to build these textfield-comps manually. Or is it somehow – with the wisdom of the community – possible to build one textfield-comp (with all the needed layers) and place multiple instances of this comp with an expression on the curve?

Thx for any advice!

Edit.: and rename this comp while placing them, obviously ;)

Return to posts index

Scott McGee
Re: Question about dynamic comp
on Jul 31, 2017 at 2:21:04 pm

Is there any reason why you can't just use text layers (unprecomped) and duplicate the Master comp rather than precomping the text?

Like Flash, and using Dynamic text you can do this in After Effects, if for example you are using Dynamic link or Essential Graphics when you bring it into Premiere, you can also use HTML and get it to dynamically change.

But if you mean something in After effects that will change a text layer in a precomp that is attached to other comps. I can't think of a method that would work like that.

Alternatively you can time remap portions. So curvechart 1 is 15 seconds. Use an expression that references just that portion. or if you have the text set as a frame, just set it to a frame. This way you just use a slider control, I tend to add a sourcetext expression when using something like this to quick select the number. This then changes it.

But I can't think of anything that will change text in one comp that would be seen in another otherwise.

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Batholomis
on Jul 31, 2017 at 2:36:16 pm

Thanks, but that is not the direction i need to go.

some more background information:
I want to do a curvechart. There is a maximum of different values (points) possible to show on this chart, but the actual amount of visible points depends on the array.length. Now i have all the possible points a seperate comp. Within we have shapelayers and textlayers, which have different values and visibilities.

The question is, can i have one comp for the points and duplicate them with different names with the power of expressions? ;)

Return to posts index

Scott McGee
on Jul 31, 2017 at 4:45:25 pm

You can duplicate that comp in the project window and change the duplicate that way, but you can't duplicate within a comp and use an expression to alter it unless you use something like my method.

I guess what you would need is something like true comp duplicator, or write your own script that will do this for you then.

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Batholomis
on Aug 1, 2017 at 11:41:52 am

Allright, thank a lot for clarification!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]