ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Efffect - Basic Text - control content of Edit Text with Expression

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Conn Reilly
Efffect - Basic Text - control content of Edit Text with Expression
on Jul 21, 2017 at 9:04:12 pm

I have been using a composition to burn-in several bits of data: source.name/timecode from three sources (reference, master, and source), as well as comp.name/timecode and a unique shot identifier. Currently this is being done with four text layers that have expressions to access the various metadata in the source layers and using a layer solid to create masked banners to box the text.

New goal is to consolidate the multiple data into one layer.

First instinct was to take the solid and add multiple instances of the "Basic Text" effect. Problem with this approach appears to be that there isn't a way to tie the "Edit Text" field to expressions for dynamic/automated . Looking for a way to do so.

Totally open to suggestions for other single-layer solutions to burn in TC and source names from multiple sources.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Efffect - Basic Text - control content of Edit Text with Expression
on Jul 21, 2017 at 10:13:22 pm

Why not just combine everything into one text layer?

Dan

Return to posts index

Conn Reilly
on Jul 21, 2017 at 10:48:06 pm

Thanks for writing back so promptly. Your attention and consideration are appreciated, and your expertise in pursuit of compact code is admired

Oh, I do like the sound of "one text layer." I like that very much.

Was less than confident about being able to place the texts where needed, and for dynamic flexibility still be able to hand out different alignment and anchors for each data group.

The current expressions in play are added to the box below

Here's a sample of the layout
burnin_layoutref.jpg

And a look at the layers stack
burnin_layoutref.jpg

//BottomLeft
text.sourceText = thisComp.layer(1).name +" "+ timeToCurrentFormat(thisComp.layer(1).sourceTime());

//BottomRight
for(i=2;i&lt;=thisComp.numLayers;i++){
if(thisComp.layer(i).inPoint &lt;= time && thisComp.layer(i).outPoint >= time){
text.sourceText = thisComp.layer(i).name +" "+ timeToCurrentFormat(thisComp.layer(i).sourceTime());
}
}

//TopRight
num = timeToFrames(t = time, fps = 1.0 / thisComp.frameDuration, isDuration = false);
neg = num &lt; 0;
num = Math.abs(num);
numDigits = effect("Counter Min Digits")("Slider");
numDec = 0;
s = "" + Math.floor(num);
while(s.length &lt; numDigits) s = "0" + s;
if (numDec > 0) s += "." + num.toFixed(numDec).split(".")[1];
if (neg) s = "-" + s;
s;
thisLayer.name+" "+thisComp.layer("RenderCheckSequence.[00000-00223].dpx").name+" "+s

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jul 21, 2017 at 11:10:31 pm

Ah, OK--that's trickier than I thought, with the info spread out in different corners of the comp. I don't think I've got a suggestion better than using multiple text layers. Why is it that you don't want to do that?

Dan

Return to posts index

Conn Reilly
on Jul 21, 2017 at 11:18:58 pm

Trying to simplify for a shared workflow environment. With so many text layers, even locked and shy, it can be too much for a novice to jump in and render out this burn-in without creating unwanted trouble. If it we could bundle it all in one layer, we might be able to save it as a one-click preset.

Any thoughts about accessing the "Edit text" handle within the old "Basic Text" effect?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jul 22, 2017 at 12:06:33 am

>Any thoughts about accessing the "Edit text" handle within the old "Basic Text" effect?

There's no way to do that.

I am curious about your work flow. You have the expressions--what is it that has to be done manually?

Dan

Return to posts index

Conn Reilly
on Jul 22, 2017 at 12:38:56 am

Always seeking, and catering to, the lowest common denominator - guess I got greedy for reducing layer count. The fewer the visible variables the less chance there is for human curiosity and meddling. I will quiet my greed. Thanks for taking a look at the puzzle.

Return to posts index

Conn Reilly
on Jul 21, 2017 at 11:15:05 pm

A Look at Layers burnin_layoutref_layers.png

(accidentally double-pumped the first image for layout ref instead of mixing and matching those images)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]