ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Measuring width of objects in precomp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yan Trudel
Measuring width of objects in precomp
on Jun 19, 2017 at 3:57:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I dont post here often since a lot of times I find my answers on the forums from other people facing the same challenges. Thank all of you guys for all the knowledge you guys share everyday.

I'm working on a project where I'm building a template for editors to use to put in the day and time at which shows play.
That info then appears in 2 boxes that are side to side. Depending on the input text, the width of the combined boxes is always different.

Here is what it looks like :

My question : can After effects calculate the total width if they are inside a precomp and how could i go about doing that?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Measuring width of objects in precomp
on Jun 19, 2017 at 5:26:24 pm

Hard to say exactly without knowing more detail, but probably something like this:

r = comp("your precomp name").layer("your layer name").sourceRectAtTime(time,false);
r.width

sourceRectAtTime() is the key.

Dan

Return to posts index

Yan Trudel
on Jun 19, 2017 at 5:41:48 pm

Thanks for the quick response Dan! By the way, you've been answering so many expressions questions I have had over the year so thanks for that too!

I had actually tried sourceRectAtTime() but since the result of those 2 boxes is precomposed, it gives me the width of that composition.

In my current build I use sourceRectAtTime() for each of the boxes with the text; one is right aligned and the other left aligned. They are in different compositions that are then juxtaposed. I'm actually trying to figure out the total length so I can always center the result of the combined width of the boxes since it can vary a lot :

Although maybe my approach might be where I'm going wrong here?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jun 19, 2017 at 5:47:11 pm

I was assuming that you would use comp() to target the precomp so that you would have access to the layers inside.

Dan

Return to posts index

Yan Trudel
on Jun 19, 2017 at 5:52:23 pm

Oh, rookie mistake!
I'm going to try it out now!

Return to posts index

Yan Trudel
on Jun 19, 2017 at 6:07:28 pm

Thanks Dan!

Since I'm not the expert, I sometimes forget I can reference directly into comps... Seems like it was rather simple but greatly appreciate the help! ☺

I've used the expression you gave me to measure the total width like this :

j = comp("Precomp_JOUR").layer("boite_jour").sourceRectAtTime(time,false);
h = comp("Precomp_HEURE").layer("boite_heure").sourceRectAtTime(time,false);

h.width+j.width;

Now going to work on getting it to center automatically. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]