ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Expression checkbox to turn EXPRESSION on/off?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie Mullins
Expression checkbox to turn EXPRESSION on/off?
on May 24, 2017 at 5:44:29 pm

Hi,

I'm working on an animation where the elements in a scene are black line art with some of the elements colored in blue kind of "offset" behind the lines. (For example, one character is all black lines but then he has blue for his hair.)
I have a delay valueAtTime expression on the blue so that the motion is also "offset" by 1 frame. The blue shape path points need to be linked to the line shape, so I have an expression on the shape path.

However, they want to have the line and blue shape elements in the scene to do some crazy transformations/transition into the elements in the next scene (which may be something with a different number of points). Is there any way to have a checkbox or something turn on and off the linked blue shape and black lines, and then be able to turn that on again after the transition to the next scene is complete? Is there any better way to do this, with out just duplicating and splitting the layers before the transition? I'm mainly concerned with the client coming back with a lot of revisions, and am looking for anything that would be more of a timesaver for me...

Here's a reference animation for what the boss is sort of looking for as far as the transitions go: http://dribbblepopular.tumblr.com/post/123672162079/blend-for-two-days-in-v...

And a screenshot of an example of what expressions I'm using now.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Sierra
Re: Expression checkbox to turn EXPRESSION on/off?
on May 25, 2017 at 8:19:52 am

Hi,

You can transition from shape to shape directly in one shape path.
You create a path for every shape in your animation, create a key, and copy/past it to your main shape path at the right time. This way, your main shape path is keyframed and your blue layer will follow.

If the interpolations between the shapes don't please you, you can copy/past all your main shape path keys to a mask path, use the mask interpolation tool (Window/Mask Interpolation), then copy/paste the newly generated keys back to the main shape path.

I would also directly reference the main shape layer by name in your blue position expression... That way, you can add layers without having problems :

delay = 1
d = delay*thisComp.frameDuration*(index - 1);
thisComp.layer("Line").position.valueAtTime(time - d)

I hope this helps !
Good luck ;)

Return to posts index

Julie Mullins
Re: Expression checkbox to turn EXPRESSION on/off?
on May 26, 2017 at 3:20:23 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]