ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

New to Expressions, Not Sure What to Call This

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Friedrichs
New to Expressions, Not Sure What to Call This
on Apr 13, 2017 at 5:49:07 pm

I have done some searching but haven't really been able to find what I'm looking for, mostly because I'm not sure what to call it. So I figured I'd make a post (my first, though I have lurked for years).

I have a null with several objects (buildings) linked, and have animated the null along the x. I'm trying to add some hills and a sun in the background, and I want them to move along the x with the same dynamics, but not at the same speed- rather, slower, at a set fraction (to achieve a sense of perspective/scale/distance).

I imagine that it would be possible to write a script in the position value of each of the background layers to create that dynamic, where the X value changes (accounting for eases done in the graph editor) are interpreted at a smaller scale, but I'm not sure where to start. The only expression in my repertoire is wiggle right now (though this project has thrown into sharp relief my need to develop that further!).

Any help or insight would be so appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: New to Expressions, Not Sure What to Call This
on Apr 13, 2017 at 5:59:53 pm

If you have a parent layer keyframed to move across the screen, you could have a child layer move half as far with an expression like this:

p = parent.transform.position;
d = p - p.valueAtTime(0);
value - d*.5

Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]