ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Camera Moves When Moving Layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Ross
Camera Moves When Moving Layers
on Apr 3, 2017 at 3:04:14 pm

Hi there,

I have a preview that has been approved by the client to a certain degree, I just need to tweak a few things and it's good to render.

However, I have the following expression on a Null Object, which has the camera linked to it:

timeToStart = 0;
frameToStart = 00;
timeToStop = 1;
frameToStop = 5;
w=wiggle(6,60)

d = thisComp.frameDuration;
if ((time > (timeToStart + frameToStart*d)) && (time < (timeToStop + frameToStop*d))){
[value[0],w[1]];
}else{
value;
}

Everytime I add a layer above the camera layer, or move the camera and null up the stack or delete a layer above the camera layer within the composition, the position of the camera moves, which I don't want as the preview has virtually been signed off.

I have even converted the expression to keyframes and even after that the camera moves when moving layers or deleting layers above the camera.

Any ideas? Worst case, i'll leave it as is but it'd be great to know how to get around it.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Camera Moves When Moving Layers
on Apr 3, 2017 at 3:57:15 pm

I think you just need to add a seedRandom() statement at the top of the expression. Whatever the layer's layer number is where you like the performance, use that number minus one as the seed. For example, if your null is layer 3 when it behaves the way you want, just add this:

seedRandom(2,false);

Dan

Return to posts index

Andrew Ross
on Apr 4, 2017 at 8:54:17 pm

Hi Dan

Thanks for the reply.

My Null is layer 5, so I put the following at the top of the expression.

seedRandom(4,false);

I then proceeded to delete the layer that I don't want (to clean the project up) which is the 4th layer in the comp. When this is done, the camera jumps again.

I should add that I have some position keyframes on the null as well as the expression.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Apr 4, 2017 at 11:42:50 pm

Does the null move when you delete the layer, or just the camera? Does the camera have any expressions?

Dan

Return to posts index

Andrew Ross
on Apr 5, 2017 at 12:13:22 am

Ahhh my bad.

Yes the camera had the same expression, which i didn't realise i had applied to it.

I've just added the line you mentioned to the camera expression also, deleted the layer above and badda boom!

You are a star.

Many thanks. Happy customer : )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]