ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

valueAtTime based on time remapping

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steff Rahaim
valueAtTime based on time remapping
on Mar 24, 2017 at 12:05:24 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to work out the following scenario and running into a bit of a wall -

I have a piece of base footage which has some complicated time remapping on it - i.e. there are several keyframed forwards, reverses, slow-downs, speed-ups, etc.

I have a layer which is parented to a null which has tracking data based on the un-time-remapped footage which needs to stick to part of the base footage through all of the time remapping; however because of the action that is happening in this layer it cannot be played in reverse (it's supposed to represent liquid dripping so the drops can't reverse and go up) and therefore cannot just be time remapped like the bas footage.

I don't want to track the layer to the time-remapped footage because we're still in the process of working out the overall timing of the video so it's very likely the time remap of the base footage will be revised.

I was wondering if there was an expression or technique anyone could think of to have my position data observe the time remapping data - so if the position of my null is x,y at 0;00;10;00 of the time remapped base footage (not the comp) then the position of that null will be x,y whenever we get to 0;00;10;00 in the base footage. I haven't gotten heavily into expressions but what it seems like I'm looking for is something like valueAtTime except based on the timecode of a layer versus the timecode of the composition it's in.

I know you can't time remap a null but I was wondering if I could swap the null for a comp which had the same tracking data on it, time remap the layer to match the base footage, and apply the hypothetical expression that I outlined above. I hope this all makes sense.

Many thanks,

Steff

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: valueAtTime based on time remapping
on Mar 24, 2017 at 4:35:58 pm

You can provide any arbitrary time value (in seconds) to the valurAtTime() method:

t = thisComp.layer("Time Remapped Layer").timeRemap;
valueAtTime(t);

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Steff Rahaim
Re: valueAtTime based on time remapping
on Mar 24, 2017 at 6:37:03 pm

Oh my goodness. Magical. Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]