ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Link Hue Value (Angle) to another Hue Value. So everything matches

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Mayorga
Link Hue Value (Angle) to another Hue Value. So everything matches
on Mar 8, 2017 at 4:44:13 am

So I have a AE Project that has a Comp with a Adjustment Layer that I want all my other comps to Link back too and use the value I have set on the MAIN comp. Basically im changing all the BLUE colors to another color for example RED. Instead of going to EVERY comp and picking RED, I just want to change the MAIN comp and the rest follow since the values are Linked VIA Expressions.

Heres my project setup:
I have a Comp called TEMPLATE Color, that has an Adjustment layer called CONTROL ALL COLORS with a HUE/Saturation effect applied, and a few other control sliders (the control sliders are there just because I was testing out the linking).
11112_screenshot20170307at9.23.30pm.png.zip

My other COMPS (LargeLower, LowerThird, InfoBlock, InfoPage, Transition) all have an HUE/Saturation Effect applied to the shape objects. When I move the Colorize Hue in that effect it changes the color of the shapes to whatever I chose.
11113_screenshot20170307at9.23.11pm.png.zip

I Alt+Click on the Colorize Hue on the Hue/Saturation effect applied to the shapes layer to open up the expression box and I will remove all the text there and just pickwhip? (if thats what that tool is called, the tail thing to parent) it over to the Hue/Saturation Effect in the CONTROL ALL COLORS comp. I Select the Colorize Hue on that effect so that Colorize Hue = Colorize Hue. But when I press enter and complete the expression I get an error.
11114_screenshot20170307at9.38.52pm.png.zip

11115_screenshot20170307at9.39.57pm.png.zip

11116_screenshot20170307at9.40.15pm.png.zip

I have tried multiple ways of doing this. Pickwhipping the effect to control sliders (values, angels, etc). I even tried using the Tint effect rather than Hue/Saturation but I always get the same error...
I tried naming the values. For Example when I would Alt+Click to open up the expressions box there would already be Text in the box. I would take that text and add = Name1
then say Name1 = (Pickwhip to Main Effect) but still... Same Error...

Anyway how I could get this to work?
Hopefully my post makes since or someone could shead some light on this. I have some expressions background but not a lot to make it work I guess... I do know this is possible because I have seen it in a template I purchased one time but could not figure out the codes they used.... It was long. I can post there code if you would like to see that as well.

Visual Effects & Motion Graphics Artist

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Link Hue Value (Angle) to another Hue Value. So everything matches
on Mar 8, 2017 at 7:02:05 am

The extra line breaks in the expression indicate you may have the same problem described here:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/9079349#9079349

Dan

Return to posts index

Victor Mayorga
on Mar 8, 2017 at 9:24:43 pm

I read through that post and I dont know if I understood the line break correctly...
But what I did is created new nulls, renamed them but pushed backspace first then entered a name. Tried re-doing the expression and still gave me the same error.

I even created a null inside the same comp and added the hue/saturation effect onto the null and tried linking that effect to another layer in that same comp but still the same error... =/

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Mar 8, 2017 at 9:41:19 pm

I think you may need to go through the same process with the name for your TEMPLATE COLOR comp because it was also showing a line break in the original expression capture you posted. If the line break before CONTROL ALL COLORS is now gone from the expression, I'd say you've fixed the problem with the null name.

Dan

Return to posts index

Victor Mayorga
on Mar 9, 2017 at 1:51:11 am

You sir, ARE A GENIUS! That actually worked, I renamed the comp pushing backspace first and it worked!
When I pick-whipped it actually created the expression all in one line, rather than it being spaced out with enters like it was (that’s why I couldn’t see it all in one line)….

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]