ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Have multiple values output in source text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Søren Nowakowski
Have multiple values output in source text
on Nov 24, 2016 at 11:44:55 am

Hey yall.

I'm trying to create a HUD inspired by Terminator 2. There's this massive amount of random data mumbo jumbo, like random numbers constantly changing and such.
I have exactly 1 text layer, on which I would like to make 10 lines of random numbers that constantly changes. On the effects control tab of this text layer I have 10 sliders lined up, each with a random default value, and each with a wiggle expression (to generate constant changing). On the source text of my text layer, I set up variables like:

l1 = effect("Line 1")("Slider");
l2 = effect("Line 2")("Slider");
and so on.

I'm trying to achieve multiple outputs, so that every line is on its own. So I tried going:

l1 + "\r" + l2 + "\r" + l3 and so on. But it doesn't work. Gives me a syntax error.

I need a push in the right direction. Do any of you guys know how to achieve this within one text layer? (if it's even possible).

Return to posts index

Yahor Hayeuski
Re: Have multiple values output in source text
on Nov 24, 2016 at 1:26:47 pm

Hi,
l1 = effect("Line 1")("Slider").value;
l2 = effect("Line 1")("Slider").value;
l3 = effect("Line 1")("Slider").value;

l1 + "\r" + l2 + "\r" + l3;

Put .value after "slider". This works for me.

Return to posts index

Søren Nowakowski
on Nov 25, 2016 at 1:57:24 pm

Wonderful, worked like a charm ?

Now, why does this work? :)

Return to posts index

Yahor Hayeuski
on Nov 25, 2016 at 3:05:49 pm

So any property that you "link" is not just a simple number or value. It's an object, that have a lot of methods and attributes, like value, number of keyframes, property index and so on. And you can get all this info from an object (from link thisComp.layer.effect.bla-bla-bla). Basically in almost all situations it's normal to put just a link to an object and everything will work fine. But when we work with Source Text it doesn't. Don't know why, it's a hidden magic. So we need to put .value to the end of a link, it tells the program that we need to work exactly with the value of the object (not with ID, not with keyframes).

Return to posts index

Søren Nowakowski
on Nov 25, 2016 at 3:10:05 pm

Hmmm, I see...

Thanks for the explanation :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]