ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Text length > transition completion?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jiri Fiala
Text length > transition completion?
on Oct 10, 2016 at 11:07:07 pm

Hi!

I'd like to somehow translate text length (inferred from sourceRectAtTime) to transition completion.

The reason to do it this way is the text box has to be slanted, so simple scaling doesn't work (scaling messes up the slant angle). The blue textbox animates from right to left and reveals the white text.

I can't figure out how to have the first keyframe on the Job Textbox layer to be Zero and the second (last) to be inferred from the text lenght of the Job layer.

Any tips? Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Conklin
Re: Text length > transition completion?
on Oct 11, 2016 at 8:15:48 pm

What you need is the linear() interpolation function. This basically lets you map one set of values to another. This is also helpful because any easing you apply to your original keys will translate to your new values. The expression would look something like what I'm posting below. I don't know exactly how your project is set up but hopefully this is enough to point you in the right direction. I'm also attaching a simple AEP file in case the expression does not make sense on its own. You can grab that here.

var textLyr = thisComp.layer("name");
var pad = 20; // (in pixels);
var skewDeg = -15; // guessing here. enter your skew val.

var textLyr_bounds = textLyr.sourceRectAtTime(time,true); // get bounds of text layer as object.
var textLyr_w = textLyr_bounds.width * (textLyr.scale[0]/100); // calc width of text, consider X-Scale
var textLyr_h = textLyr_bounds.height * (textLyr.scale[1]/100); // calc height of text, consider Y-Scale

var skewOff = textLyr_h * Math.tan(degreesToRadians(Math.abs(skewDeg))); // calculate offset for slant.

var startWidth = 0; // value for first key.
var endWidth = textLyr_w + skewOff + (2*pad); // value for 2nd key.

var h = textLyr_h + (2*pad); // height remains constant.

// this is the complicated bit.
// Basically this says:
// As the X value (value[0]) goes from the value of the first keyframe to the
// value of the second keyframe, interpolate between and return a value from
// the value of variable startWidth to the value of variable endWidth.
var w = linear(value[0],key(1).value[0],key(2).value[0],startWidth,endWidth);

// set values
[w,h];

David Conklin
mographcode.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

David Conklin
on Oct 11, 2016 at 8:25:04 pm

My example above animated from the centre out. I've made a few adjustments to the project file to demonstrate a right-left animation. This basically involves setting the anchor point of the shape group to always be at the right edge of the type layer, and then offsetting the position enough to compensate. There's a new project here.

David Conklin
mographcode.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Oct 11, 2016 at 8:45:49 pm
Last Edited By Jiri Fiala on Oct 11, 2016 at 8:48:12 pm

OMG it works! Thanks a bunch David! That's a really big help. You even got the slant exactly right :-D

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Oct 11, 2016 at 8:56:45 pm
Last Edited By Jiri Fiala on Oct 11, 2016 at 9:02:23 pm

Just one more thing - when I type a longer text, the box and text scale from center. I need it to scale from right to left (same direction as the box grows in. In other words, I need the text and the box to be right-justified). I tried moving the anchor points but I can't really figure it out. Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

David Conklin
on Oct 11, 2016 at 10:13:51 pm

In order to get the box to position correctly around the type, the anchor point has to be centered on the type. I placed an expression to keep the anchor point in the centre, but it does make the type behave as center-justified even if that's not how it's set in the paragraph panel. To fix, simply add the following expression to the position property on the type layer. All it does is forcibly offset the position of the type to make it appear as if it writes out from the left (it's actually writing from the center, but moving to the left at the same time so it seems like it's left justified).

var box = sourceRectAtTime();
var w = box.width * (scale[0]/100);
[value[0]-w/2,value[1]]

I also made a new file with right justified type (I just applied that expression). Let me know if that works for you.

David Conklin
mographcode.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Oct 12, 2016 at 7:49:14 am

Brilliant. Works perfectly for my needs. You've been a tremendous help, thank you!

Return to posts index

Jakob Sjöbom
on Dec 6, 2016 at 8:38:45 am

Hi David!
I´m working on a similar task. The thing is that I´d like the text+box animate from left to right. Would you mind telling me how to achieve this?

Best, Jake

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]