ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

time remap child (or grandchild) to keep original time

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Zeet
time remap child (or grandchild) to keep original time
on Jul 30, 2015 at 9:30:32 pm

Hi!
I thought I had read something like this here, but I couldn't find anything, so I have to ask you...
I have a fluid camera movement with some footage + comps, shapes and blah, so the camera moves in Z + heading and etc etc. After adding a lot of keyframes to a lot of layers to have everything synched... I have to change the speed of the camera movement.. and resynch all the stuff, which can be a nightmare. So my question is:
If I precomp that main comp, and I time remap it to make it, say, 120% faster... how could I time remap the footage layers inside the main comp to keep their original speed?

So it would be like:
1. a comp called "Video 326". With a footage layer inside, and a time remap expression there.
2. that "Video 326" inside the "main" comp with the camera movement, and a bunch of layers and precomps.
3. "main" precomped into "fast main" comp. Basic time remap this, but praying the expression inside the "video 326" works so it keeps the original speed no matter how fast I make the "main" layer be.

I think it should be an easy thing.. but I'm totally stuck on this

thanks!!

Return to posts index

JuanLuis Vich
Re: time remap child (or grandchild) to keep original time
on Aug 31, 2016 at 11:05:23 pm

Hi!
I have a similar issue, which I think via expressions should work perfectly, but don't know how to approach:

I have a master composition with a looped animation. At some point, that animation has a time remapping with the animation speeded up,
but as I dont' want one of their elements get affected by that new speed (the blinking eyes) , I'd need to compensate that child layers's speed, to be 100% again and not, let's say, 235% (but I cannot give a value now, it will be just a matter of playing with the end keyframe).
Do you know if there is a way to do it better than by hand, so no matter which new speed I give to the master layer, the child layer will be always at its own 100% speed?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 1, 2016 at 5:11:25 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Sep 1, 2016 at 5:13:38 pm

A non-keyframed time remapping (even speed) sounds easier. There you'll just have to create an expression that slows down the child layer the inverse amount of what the parent layer (precomp) is being speeded up. Somehow I have a feeling that it is not going to be as easy with changing speed as it is with an evenly speeded up footage. It may be that you have to do this somehow in relation to the keyframe locations, but I could be wrong. Try it the easy way first and see what happens: Calculate the time remap speed multiplier at the parent layer (=divide by 100) and use it as the divider on the child layer. I hope I'm wrong and it works as easy as that.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

JuanLuis Vich
on Sep 1, 2016 at 11:03:03 pm

Thanks a lot for the light!!
I will give a try to that approach!

Return to posts index

Nate Vander Plas
on Mar 13, 2017 at 9:15:11 pm

Did you have any luck figuring this out? I have a more complex issue which I need to time remap some footage of a bunch of TVs, but it has an animation tracked into each TV with Mocha. I don't want to have to retrack them all, so I'm time remapping a precomp with both the original footage and the tracked- in animation. It's also not a simple speed change- I'm using keyframes on Time Remapping and getting into the curve editor to get the right movement. The problem is, this messes up the timing of the animation on the TV screen. I'm really not sure how to do this. Please help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]