ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Offseting position of objects affected by Displacement Map

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Barnett
Offseting position of objects affected by Displacement Map
on Nov 6, 2014 at 7:19:08 am
Last Edited By Shaun Barnett on Nov 6, 2014 at 8:00:23 am

I've got a character rippling with the desert heat as he splits into twins. I've applied the heat waves via displacement map on an adjustment layer and it works pretty well, but the displacement map offsets whatever it's affecting. To cancel this, I ran across the following expression in an old tutorial, and had copied it down for future use, but I can't for the life of me, remember what layer to apply it to and nothing I'm doing is working. And I can't find that particular tutorial anymore.

My note/expression:
"For pulling displacement maps back to normal position:
Add Transform Effect and write under position: "value+[ then pick-whip x and y of displacement and close with ]"

So basically, I don't know if I should be applying the transform effect to the character or to the adjustment layer. I get an error when I choose the latter.

Thanks!

EDIT: For anybody who cares, I dinked around and ended up changing the formula to
+[effect (pickwhip to x displacement),(pickwhip to y displacement)] which moved the character back into the correct position. Now I'm just stuck with an error message reading, "Transform cannot allocate a buffer larger than 30000 pixels in either direction. (516)." I'll keep digging.

Return to posts index

Shaun Barnett
Re: Offseting position of objects affected by Displacement Map
on Nov 7, 2014 at 1:39:51 am

I did a ton of goggling but the error message remains and it won't RAM preview because whatever "transform" does to the adjustment layer makes it too big.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

To recap: Is there an expression I can use to move an object back into position after a displacement map displaces it?

Return to posts index

jonathan alenskas
Re: Offseting position of objects affected by Displacement Map
on Aug 1, 2017 at 2:28:06 pm

Hello

So I know I am responding like 3 years after you posted this but I found your post cause I was looking for an answer to the same problem. I found it. Firstly the tutorial you spoke of from which you got the formula was most likely Andrew Kramers -

I too tried this but it did not work for my purposes so I rewrote it as follows..
value+[effect("Displacement Map")("Max Horizontal Displacement"),-[effect("Displacement Map")("Max Vertical Displacement")]]

Hope this helps someone out there.

Jonathan Alenskas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]