ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tie one property to another with pick whip but have the layer take say 10 frames longer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lori Newman
Tie one property to another with pick whip but have the layer take say 10 frames longer
on Dec 10, 2013 at 1:55:59 am

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to learn how to do a simple thing with expressions. In this case with scale, but in general if I have a few layers and I pick whip the scale properties to one layer that has 2 scaling keyframes, what syntax do I add to the other layers in the expression if I want them to come in say 10 frames later than the object they are pick whipped to? Thanks in advance.

Lori

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Tie one property to another with pick whip but have the layer take say 10 frames longer
on Dec 10, 2013 at 3:50:25 am

valueAtTime() is what you're looking for. This should give you a 10-frame delay:

delay = framesToTime(10);
thisComp.layer("other layer").transform.scale.valueAtTime(time-delay);

Dan

Return to posts index

Lori Newman
Re: Tie one property to another with pick whip but have the layer take say 10 frames longer
on Dec 10, 2013 at 4:30:34 am

Thank you Dan.

Return to posts index

Lori Newman
on Dec 10, 2013 at 5:12:26 am

Thank you.

This works great. The only problem that I'm having is that the objects are lining
up (position in this case). How do I have one follow the other without landing on top
of the object that is being followed, so that it keeps it's position but is a few steps behind
in time?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Dec 10, 2013 at 5:43:20 am

That's a little trickier. I think the examples at the bottom of this page will help:

http://www.motionscript.com/mastering-expressions/follow-the-leader.html

(see the A Completely Different Approach section).

Dan

Return to posts index

Lori Newman
on Dec 10, 2013 at 5:53:23 am

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]