ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Slider control issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Boucher
Slider control issue
on Jun 1, 2013 at 5:27:43 pm

I've assigned a precomp's rotation to a slider control and it doesn't work.

I've pick-whipped the rotation of this pre comp to a Null object's slider control, simple enough, it should work but for some reason there's no response, I've double and triple checked and started over, nothing seems to work.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Slider control issue
on Jun 1, 2013 at 5:47:50 pm

So are you saying that just scrubbing the slider (without setting any keyframes) has no effect on the precomp layer's rotation?

Dan

Return to posts index

Charles Boucher
on Jun 1, 2013 at 6:34:17 pm

None at all Dan, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't either so I am confused.

Even when I set keyframes it has no bearing on the rotation values, the numbers change but there is no physical rotation on the object/precomp.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jun 1, 2013 at 7:00:09 pm

Hmmm... The only issue like that I've seen is when you're trying to control something inside a precomp from a control in the main comp and the precomp layer doesn't start at time=0 in the main comp. That problem only shows up when you have keyframed the control though (scrubbing the control with no keyframes applied works fine). From your description it sounds like you're trying to control the precomp layer itself (not something inside the precomp) and you've tried it with no keyframes applied to the slider, so it doesn't sound like your situation.

Just in case though, something like this would fix the issue I've described:

C = comp("main comp");
ctrl = C.layer("controls").effect("Slider Control")("Slider");
L = C.layer(thisComp.name);
ctrl.valueAtTime(time+L.startTime)

Dan

Return to posts index

Charles Boucher
on Jun 1, 2013 at 7:46:48 pm

Hi Dan

I'm trying to control the rotation of the precomp itself, not what's inside it.

I can control its rotation just fine on its own, but when I apply it to a slider control it doesn't work.

Would the code you've added hep in this situation?.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jun 1, 2013 at 8:12:59 pm

No, that won't help. I'd love to take a look if you can post a simple project file that demonstrates this behavior.

Dan

Return to posts index

Charles Boucher
on Jun 2, 2013 at 9:18:48 am

here it is:

6097_sampleproject.aep.zip

This is how it should work, if you turn the slider control, in this file it actually works so I don't know what the problem is with my project file.

Below are some screenshots, I am pick-whipping the composition's rotation properties to the slider control:

Now when I change the values, it has no effect:

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jun 2, 2013 at 3:43:38 pm

What I would need to see is an example where it doesn't work.

I did notice that your project has a lot of layers, many of them hidden. Is it possible there is another layer named ARMS_IM with a slider named HandsL rotation_F_3/4-A1? If there is, and it is higher in the layer stack (lower layer number), that's what the expression will be looking at even though you pickwhipped the correct slider.

Dan

Return to posts index

Charles Boucher
on Jun 2, 2013 at 5:51:37 pm

No, that's the only layer called ARMS_JM. Layer wise everything checks out, unless I accidentally pickwhipped it to something else but that would that not show in the code?.

I'll see if I can recreate the same issue in a separate file but honestly I think it's just a freak accident with this project.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jun 2, 2013 at 6:10:18 pm

I think I misunderstood your problem. From the second image that you posted, it looks like the precomp layer is picking up the rotation value specified by the slider, but the image of the hand is not rotating, is that correct?

In the second image, you don't have the precomp layer selected so I can't tell, but does the layer outline stay not-rotated? I'm just wondering if there's something going on in the precomp itself that is countering the rotation.

Dan

Return to posts index

Charles Boucher
on Jun 2, 2013 at 6:56:34 pm

Yes, the layer that should rotate stays non-rotated.

It works for some layers but not for others.

I'm not sure what could be countering the non-rotation, I checked inside the precomp itself and everything checks out.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jun 2, 2013 at 7:11:42 pm

I would still love to see it if you can post an example that doesn't work.

Dan

Return to posts index

Charles Boucher
on Jun 2, 2013 at 7:18:32 pm

Whoa I just figured it out, I clicked off 'Continuous Rasterise' on the precomp and it works now.

I have most of my layers o Contunuous Rasterise because I don't want to compromise image quality in the renders.

Is there any reason why Continuous Rasterise' would have caused my issue?.

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
on Jun 2, 2013 at 7:26:40 pm

That's really interesting. I can't think of why it should behave like that. Maybe it's some kind or caching/render-order thing. Strange.

Dan

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 3, 2013 at 4:59:21 am

This seems to be a comsequence of the fact that effects are rendered after transformations for continuously rasterized layers.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Sujesh Pullanikkat
on Mar 21, 2017 at 10:12:42 am

Hai I am experiencing the same problem I am confused about where to add the script you provided is it needed a time remap to add the script?? Pls reply

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]