ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion Tile and 'time' on one axis

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Olmsted
Motion Tile and 'time' on one axis
on Dec 18, 2012 at 5:46:12 pm

Hello all!

I have an image that I want to scroll vertically in a comp. I also want it to 'loop' topp-and-bottom so I figured applying Motion Tile and moving the vertical amount of the 'center' parameter would do the trick. Instead of keyframing it, I would like to somehow apply the 'time*' expression to it, find a speed I like and then 'set it & forget it.'

Obviously, 'time' doesn't work on that parameter as it has an X and Y axis. Is there any way to accomplish what I'm attempting? I know keyframing it would take about 3 minutes to find the speed I like, but I enjoy the challenge of finding solutions to these problems.

Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ross Klettke
Re: Motion Tile and 'time' on one axis
on Dec 18, 2012 at 6:44:35 pm

Hey,
This expression might be what you're looking for:
[value[0], time * 50]

Like you said, because the Center property requires an X and a Y parameter, values need to be provided for both-- so the above expression feeds "value[0]" into the X parameter and "time *50" into the Y. value[0] is the value of whatever you've keyframed the X parameter to be, so you can have "time *50" control the Y parameter and you can still keyframe the X value if you'd like.

These can be changed to whatever you want.
Hope that helps!
--Ross

Return to posts index

Kevin Olmsted
on Dec 18, 2012 at 7:23:30 pm

That did the trick! Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Avinash Ramanath
on Aug 21, 2018 at 6:03:58 am

Would you be able to help with an expression that loops on y-axis every 10 seconds?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]