ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

DOF with video in a 3d space

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bigred
DOF with video in a 3d space
on Dec 3, 2005 at 3:55:31 pm

Folks

I'm very new to AE and it's opening whole new world to me.

I've created a single comp with a bunch of video files (talking heads) arranged on the same y plane with different x and z values. i've got the camera flying around between the clips (the clips don't move in the 3d space) to see and hear what the guys are saying in sequence and it seems to work well.

To give you all an idea of what i mean I've stuck up a screenshot at...

http://www.j-f-r.com/images/AE_3D_screenshot.jpg

But there appears to be no depth of feild (i've turned it on in the camera properties) so the results that i'm getting are good but a little unrealistic. I was kind of expecting some blurring as you moved away from the clips etc.

Anyone out there got any (simple) suggestions for what I'm doing wrong. I've googled etc and am more confused than ever. having a look at a couple of plugins but most of it might have well been written in greek...

any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

Nicholastoth
Re: DOF with video in a 3d space
on Dec 3, 2005 at 3:57:45 pm

set your active camera to your top camera --- make sure your focus distance is right and bump up your aperature --- you might need to key frame your focus distance --- then break out your after effects manual and read up on it

Nicholas Toth
Freelance Animator
nicholastoth.com

Return to posts index

yikesmikes
on Dec 3, 2005 at 8:40:18 pm

Checkout Dan's tut "Building the World's Greatest Camerman" at:

http://www.creativecow.net/show.php?page=/articles/ebberts_dan/expression_c...

Near the end there is a section, "Pulling Focus".

Return to posts index

bigred
on Dec 4, 2005 at 1:30:46 pm

yikesmikes

cheers for pointing me in the right direction. that tutorial combined with a long night and packet of marlboro has got it sussed.

big big learning curve but if my initial results are anything to go by it's going to be worth it!

Return to posts index

Naveen Mallikarjuna
on Dec 5, 2005 at 4:49:08 am

Read Chris and Trish Meyer's book on After Effects (Vol. 1). It has all the camera info you'll need (and a lot of other stuff too). Indispensible for AE users.

Return to posts index

bigred
on Dec 5, 2005 at 10:23:16 am

Thanks for the advice, I'll track it down. As a newbie to AE I feel I'm not even scratching the surface and need something like this to get going.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]