ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

2005 AE7 hopes fading...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gavin
2005 AE7 hopes fading...
on Dec 1, 2005 at 9:19:36 pm

My hopes are fading for a fourth quarter 2005 release of AE7. Anybody care to share anything with me and other people anxiously awaiting it's release?

I can find nothing anywhere on the web, except for that popular clip which shows AE7 in action.

- g

Return to posts index

Guy
Re: 2005 AE7 hopes fading...
by
on Dec 1, 2005 at 9:50:19 pm

I think it would be fitting if it was released on Christmas morning.

(that is Christmas 2005, Adobe)

kidding aside, I'd be pretty pissed if it wasn't a BIG release after all the waiting.

Return to posts index

mecha
on Dec 1, 2005 at 9:56:50 pm

After watching the little sneak peek at AE7 on the Macromedia site (or seminar or something) I am not holding out too much hope for any "killer" features.

It would appear to be an interface overhaul, flash integration and more ready made / prefab animations. I heard rumours of a new rotoscoping featue too.

I think the BIG thing will be the intergration with Flash.

Then again....what do I know!

Return to posts index

Zarxrax
on Dec 1, 2005 at 10:17:29 pm

I am thinking we will probably hear something either this month or in January. It's just not like Adobe to let their products be shown off too far in advance, and a new version is has been due for some time now.
I am REALLY hoping better rotoscoping tools are available, although nothing was mentioned on the video that was released. I will be quite disappointed if its not there.

Return to posts index

TonyTony
on Dec 1, 2005 at 10:24:48 pm

A full-fledged Roto with access to each node and per-node feather. XML import/export (sorry duck). Those two things and an interface-lift would be what I'm wishing for.

Ah Christmas Wishes

TonyTony

Return to posts index

jeremy
on Dec 1, 2005 at 10:41:06 pm

i would go for a more solid 3d environment. mainly, being able to work with 3d shapes. and maybe some sort of real time previewing

Return to posts index

Chris Smith
on Dec 2, 2005 at 3:05:15 am

I think AE needs to at minimum catch up with combustion and commotion on the very basics of a video composite program:

-A tracker that is useful, smooth, and has math functions for smooth, merge, scale the keys, etc.
-Roto tools you can use. Feathering on parts of a mask, tracking points, direct matchmove of masks (as opposed to matchmove a layer with a mask), And a better way of grabbing and manipulating the masks themselves. I spend more time screwing up my mask trying to grab it right then using the thing.
-A REAL COLOR CORRECTOR. AE still uses Photoshop tools. AE needs a DaVinci style color corrector (like Combustion).

And a couple small changes I think one of their programmers could do in a weekend:

- Stroke. One of the things I see people use 3D stroke for is not even the 3D! But the tapering. AE Stroke already has the start / end / offset, Why not add a tapering option? Seems easy.
- The number generator. I see so many posts about how to get the number generator to go higher or display in some reasonable standard that it still won't show.
-

Chris Smith
http://www.sugarfilmproduction.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Shanks
on Dec 2, 2005 at 4:17:35 am

I don't agree with some of your points Chris, the 2D tracker is fine (I use both Commotion and Combustion I hasten to mention, and i do a lot of 2D and matchmoving), ...as for manipulation of keyframes, thats what expressions excell at (the most useful expression I use is for averaging a forward track with a reverse track to get a silky smooth average). I used to love commotion, and its tracker has always been one of the best, ...but using it now, well, its far too slow, ...I have 3D matchmoving software that can complete a whole scene with hundreds of track points in the time it takes to do one (so that combined with only 8 bit support means commotion now doesn't get a look in, ....although i still dream of superclone being re-incarnated in AE one day, ...and yes, tracking to mask points would be good too).

As for colour correction, we do have colour finesse (which is very powerful), ...but yes, I have to confess that even though its one of the better correctors around, its soooo painful to use it in After Effects, ...would be nice to either have better integration of it (i.e. it works in the after effects interface direct) or for AE to have its own version.

As for AE7, ...yeah, I'm upset its not out, ...but I actually figure the delay might be due to them integrating things for recent acqusitions (including macromedia, and curious GFX). Curious GFX is a good (if a little querky in its GUI) rotoscoping program, that if integrated properly, should give us all the rotoscoping goodies we'e been craving.

Cheers,

andrew

Return to posts index

Chris Smith
on Dec 2, 2005 at 3:13:15 pm

I confess that I have never used expressions in AE. Which is strange because in Maya and Shake I lean heavily on them. Something about the javascript turns me off. However one could argue that although that is a solution, it is not an elegant one for the casual user. Commotion still has it best in my opinion, a simple math ops window.

As far as speed of Commotion track are you setting it to software or 'powermac G4'? If you set it to PowermacG4 (also on a G5) it's blazing fast even with the precision all the way up (how I track). When I do tracks, I give the AE one a quick go. But it never fails to be rough track straight out of the gate. I do the same track in Commotion and it's often great at the get-go.

Yes I do respect CF. But as I've ranted before in other threads a while back, like you said, it's integration with AE defeats it's usability in my book. If you have all day to futz with it, fine, but I don't :(

Chris Smith

Return to posts index

Andrew Shanks
on Dec 4, 2005 at 8:39:04 pm

Hey Chris!
I confess I'm stuck in PC-land these days so don't have a G4 or G5 to use commotions hardware acelerated tracking on, ...hmmm, have been looking at getting my own shake seat on a mac so maybe old commotion will get a dusting off for some tracking duties (great it comes with both pc and mac versions in the box, ...certainly used to be the most accurate 2D tracker, and the ability to send keyframes to AE was always great). I worked on a feature film last year with a friend of mine and he was using the roto-import plugin, using commotion for rotosplining then importing those into the final composites he was doing in AE, ...worked a treat. Will be interesting to see what the curious gfx licencing will give AE in terms of tracking and roto abilities.
As for expressions, they're not too horrible, ...I too dabble in scripting only when necessary, ...but thankfully AE tries to guess what you might be wanting to do based one you using the pickwhip to drag and drop on a parent attribute from another layer (then you can add basic maths to that to get the result you want), ...the whole pickwhip thing reminds me of the way parenting of attributes in shake works (although its been a while since I played in shake so I might be mistaken, but i seem to remember it using a similar way of operating). Anything more complex you can usually find a template on one an AE expressions site or from other users on the forum, ...I got the tracking averaging template from a user on cow, and now just call it up whenever I'm trying to smooth a track (the track forward then track backward of the same target, works a treat to smooth out the little bits of jitter that the high subpixel sampling introduces in AE).

I hope that AE7 does address the compositing users (high on my list is floating point and revamping the flowchart view into a proper nodal interface, ...something that isn't technically that difficult as nodal is the way every compositor runs under the hood, compositions being like nested trees, ...only real addition would be the provision of some basic nodes (such as layer linking varieties, maybe premult, transfer mode node (or could be handled with witin the source layers own node preferences), and a transform node (that takes care of all of AEs normal transform options). All dreams at this point, but I will be annoyed if AE7 is more geared towards motion graphics without improving visual effects workflow/toolset).

we wait and see.

cheers,

andrew

:-)

Return to posts index

Chris Smith
on Dec 2, 2005 at 4:18:09 pm

Hey Paul, Yeah it looks fantastic. I guess my requests were for the benefit of AE itself. I actually use Avid|DS to do my roto/track/composite work now (getting tired of the FCP to AE thing), I was just ranting that as a program there were some basics that I felt AE was getting behind on. It was for my love of AE that I had to critisize..sniff (chokes up).

They grow up so fast. :)

Chris Smith

Return to posts index

Mav777
on Dec 3, 2005 at 12:12:24 am

Maybe Adobe is waiting to launch AE 7 as part of the wider suite of upgrades..ie. Auditon, Encore etc. in the Video Collection...and I guess just one delay in development of a single piece could be enough to hold the whole show up!
Anyway there's nothing quite like a bit of speculation:)

Return to posts index

Le Coyote
on Dec 2, 2005 at 10:13:00 pm

[Guy] "kidding aside, I'd be pretty pissed if it wasn't a BIG release after all the waiting."

it's funny, but I'm not pissed at all of the delay. I'm really amazed at how well 6.5 runs in term of stability (10.3 G5 2x2). I can't remember one time it crashed. It did crash a few times with an old plugin I have, but it's otherwise flawless and bug free. I realize that working with stable apps is much easier on my nerves.

I just hope this will stay true with AE7.

Return to posts index

Nicholastoth
on Dec 3, 2005 at 4:38:59 pm

What is so good about ae7? The flash export? New particle generator presets?

It seems that all of the things I've (we as a community) have worked on are going to be made easier. But this doesn't make any sense to me --- action scripting in flash is now back to the old style where its just coding --- but ae is going in the other direction and making it easier for anyone to use. Is this good or bad? I guess I'm just tired of having people say to me "oh yeah thats easy I can do that..." and more of those comments have arisen since motion and now with AE7 ---- you can teach a monkey to animate. (sorry if thats cynical guys --- but some people just piss me off when they think creating opens/fill etc. is a walk in the park)

I can't tell if the new ae7 is a positive or negative thing. Anyone know of any cool new rumored features for it?
Ie: better motion tracker?

Nicholas Toth
Freelance Animator
nicholastoth.com

Return to posts index

RamboBaby
on Dec 3, 2005 at 11:35:20 pm

I agree with Jeremy. Working with 3D objects directly in AE would be awesome and is my first pic. I know I'm just dreaming here, but some sort of motion estimation to interpolate pixel data would be way cool also. Time stretching layers can get pretty lame if you need really slow motion.

Return to posts index

Stolichnaya
on Dec 7, 2005 at 8:56:03 pm

Any sign of multi processor support?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]