ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shape layer repeater delay expression

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Tosetto
Shape layer repeater delay expression
on Nov 18, 2011 at 2:56:34 am

Hi guys

I'm completely blown away by JR Canest's 'Waiting for Superman' animation which I'm sure you've all seen. I love the repeater kind of shapes he uses and a perfect example is right at the start of the animation.

I've been playing around with shape layers and repeaters, but I'm wondering if you can put a time offset or delay on the shapes generated by the repeater so they don't all do the same animation at the same time.

I thought maybe an expression could do the trick but I'm kinda stumped at this part. It might not even need an expression as I could have overlooked something but if any one has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Cheers

Mike

miketosetto dot com | bestiacollective dot com

Return to posts index

Sinan Karacam
Re: Shape layer repeater delay expression
on Aug 3, 2013 at 1:02:03 am

I am also looking for this question's answer...

Return to posts index

bart stevens
on May 1, 2014 at 6:01:13 pm

Did you ever find an answer?
I'm trying to do something similar.
It's a little involved so I've posted a new thread.

Return to posts index

Mike Tosetto
on May 1, 2014 at 6:08:47 pm

Heya, yeah I think I was just overthinking it.

What I do these days is either create a layer with a bunch of animation. Or if it's more complex, I create a pre-comp with a bunch of layers with a bunch of animation.

Then I just create a bunch of layers and offset them by 1, 3, 6 frames... whatever you like. Sometimes I end up with 50 offset layers but it makes for some really cool animations.

The advantage with putting the animation in a precomp is that it's easy to change once for all the offset layers.

Or another advantage is that you can change individual colours of each comp using Tint or Fill... so again, you only need one precomp with all your animation.

Often the set up is more manual, such as rotating each layer by 5 degrees or moving it's position by a few pixels each time but you could easily write an expression for that... or do it manually... either way, that's how I've been working with this technique I was trying to solve a while back.

Hope that helps.

Mike

miketosetto dot com

Return to posts index

bart stevens
on May 1, 2014 at 8:51:48 pm

Thanks Mike for the feedback Mike..
Duplicating sub-comps won't work for what I need to do, but it got me thinking about approaching the problem differently.
I use a combination of a shape layer - replicated and trapcode form.
Thanks agian

Return to posts index

Scott Green
on Feb 1, 2017 at 8:31:43 am

I'd love to find a solution to this original question too.
Sometimes you don't want to delay precomps and just use a shape but a way to make the repeater delay it's animation would be brilliant.

I'm about to animate 3000 dots scaling up and wanted to use one dot with a couple of repeaters but have them scale up one after the other rather than all at the same time.

Does anyone have any ideas how to do that using a simple shape?

Motion Videos UK - We are creative video designers who bring pleasure, meaning and beauty to our small world through film, motion graphics and animation.

Return to posts index

colin woodcock
on Feb 2, 2017 at 3:58:21 pm

Hi Scott,
I've been wondering the same thing. Having looked around it seems that ECAbrams has had a good stab at it however to get the "Echospace" look and feel - for free - you might want to try Mikey's preset -

He's emulating the repeaters functions that can be used on any layer. It may work for you to pre-comp an animation and then apply this preset...haven't tried it myself though it looks like a solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]