ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

XML Exchange between Flash and AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman Laney
XML Exchange between Flash and AE
on Apr 26, 2011 at 6:10:53 pm

Hello,

So I have a specific need that I hoped this forum could assist me with. The simplest description of what I want is: Export the xml motion data of Flash symbols to be imported into After Effects.

Now, I've spent some time researching, so I know a few things. I know I can export AE "xfl" files to move motion data from AE to Flash, but that isn't what I need. My animation is in Flash and I need the motion data applied to AE elements. (Not to bore you but, Flash is better for my people to animate in, but the elements (Client provided raster type and logo with tons of rendering - hard to replicate in vector) look terrible as raster swf exports. I want to take the motion data from flash and apply it to the raster PSD elements of the text and logo in AE, getting the nice soft Raster art plus motion blur, but with the keys generated in Flash. I can imagine uses beyond this, but this is my current need. Still with me?)

I know getting the XML from Flash is simple (command: export motion as xml) but getting AE to understand that xml is the sticking point. I have really looked all over the net and no one seems to have written a solution to this (Too niche?). My current thinking is I need to make a script which would convert the .xml file from Flash nomenclature into AE keyframe data nomenclature. I have created an example for anyone interested below of the two data formats. Basically I made a simple animation in Flash and then replicated it in AE. Below is the Flash XML and then the AE Keyframe data ( made thru copy/pasting the keyframes into a text editor.) This is all Adobe CS5 BTW

My question is; how easy would this be to create? I'm not a programmer... so the curve seems high, but I'm open to any tips/suggestions/help etc.

(Side Question: does anyone know/understand how AE states interpolation between frames in the keyframe data?, I'm not seeing it.)

Thanks for listening. I realize this is a big complex question, but any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Roman

link to examples:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1748178/AE_TO_FLA_XML.zip

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: XML Exchange between Flash and AE
on Apr 26, 2011 at 6:47:39 pm

I can't look at your examples right now (because I'm behind a firewall that won't allow it), but you're correct that it's a job for an AE script. ExtendScript has a good XML parsing engine, so that part's not too tough. I wouldn't bother converting it to AE keyframe data, I'd go directly to creating the keyframes. For one thing, as far as I know, easing doesn't make it into exported AE keyframe data. If you don't already have them, you need the AE Scripting Guide and Adobe's JavaScript Tools Guide (where all the file I/O and XML stuff is described). It sounds like a pretty big job if this is your first script, but definitely do-able.

Dan

Return to posts index

Roman Laney
on Apr 26, 2011 at 8:15:51 pm

Dan,

Great thanks for the insight! I do have the ExtendScript components... I will start digging into that more. Thank you for the suggestion about ignoring the AE keyframe data... good to get new eyes on the idea before I start.

-Roman

Return to posts index

Adam Bull
on Nov 30, 2017 at 10:30:27 pm

Hey Roman,

I realize this post is old, but like you I can't find any info on getting XML motion data from Flash/Animate into After Effects. It would make reconstructing camera moves in after effects a lot easier instead of having to track to match what was done in Flash/Animate.

Did you happen to find a solution?

Cheers,
-Adam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]